London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
61 to 80 of 394 messages
11/01/2013 at 23:17

Oh dear, I haven't sown a single seed yet. I wait until March and I don't want to heat the greenhouse at this time of year. Last year I sowed broad beans in the autumn and they all died after the snow and the -17°.

By the way, those sowing tomatoes from saved seed - make sure they aren't F1 hybrids as they don't come true to type.

11/01/2013 at 23:58
Well...my lemonbalms up waitin for the rest to show.
12/01/2013 at 09:13

Good morning all .

Wow you've all been so busy, I sat last weekend and ordered my seeds and was going to spend this weekend researching which ones needed a chill and I could sow.

I'm so glad the days are drawing out but still very wary of the threatened snow so I think I'm going to wait a couple of weeks.  I made a few mistakes last year and was too late for most things and had some lovely toms but they never rippened so decided to keep a journal this year to make sure I keep notes (or try to) and learn by my mistakes.

12/01/2013 at 09:19
My tomatos ars doing well. I had a look at loads of different pages and they said i was ok to plant in january. Even this site said do it between jan and march. They have slowed down so very happy
12/01/2013 at 09:42

Glad to hear it. 

My neighbour is growing under light in his greenhouse and being a nosey parker lol I had to ask,, orchids that take 2 years to mature (I have to say I have greenhouse envy lol).

Well I've dragged oout the seedling compost, vermiculite and perlite and I'm away larkspur need to chill and I have some granny bonnets so I'm getting wrapped up and going out to play

12/01/2013 at 10:09

Sam-I know you won't believe me -but tomatoes-January for heated greenhouse, March for cold green house, April for growing outside

But good luck to you anyway

12/01/2013 at 10:37
Hi sotongeoff. Its not that I dont believe you, im just having a go Toms are in the house and will be for a while yet. Lisa, I have my Aguilegia sown and nothing yet but they do take a while. I have been given some larkspur but need to see when they are to be planted. Im quite enjoying it
12/01/2013 at 10:46

I did read that larkspur need to be 'chilled' to germinate so sowing ahoy

12/01/2013 at 11:08
Ahhh. Cool. Thanks hun. Thats today sorted
12/01/2013 at 11:36

11.30 and I haven't even been out to check the greenhouse yet. Or fill the bird feeders. 

12/01/2013 at 11:43
Ohhh you lazy monkey lol. Neither have I
12/01/2013 at 12:37

Hello Hollie hock seeds are up are -,1 x Liatris - purple they take a few years to flower so have to grow on for a while yet and Honesty x3 as 1 more came out today that's good.

It is raining like mad here and has been all night in Southampton and even had large bang of thunder this morning.

Went out yesterday and fed the birds and squirrels so that's OK for now -  will wait to see if it stops raining before going out today.

lisa69 wrote (see)

I did read that larkspur need to be 'chilled' to germinate so sowing ahoy

I have those seeds I did not know they needed a chill so is it good to sow outside then? when not raining I guess

Will try and sow white Ragged Robin today and Snap Dragons indoors got some pots with compost in already.

12/01/2013 at 12:43

Maybe the reason I don't have much luck with larkspur is because I haven't got them on my chill list.

Been up and out now. Birds happy. Nothing germinated. I shall be watching hard after this cold spell. This will be the first year I've had them in the cold greenhouse rather than outside. They'll get the cold but not the weathering. Time will tell. They won't be a home for worms now they're not on the ground.

It's lovely out there but so wet still I'm not going on the garden. If we do get some hard frosts and the ground freezes I shall take the opportunity to cut down some old growth

12/01/2013 at 18:09

I can't find the larkspur seeds may be dont have them may of been thinking of stock seeds or delphinium seeds that I have.

2 more seeds are up of Liatris purple

Have sown white ragged robin, white snap dragons and some erygnium sea holly have to wait for a bit for them to grow all indoors. Still raining here

13/01/2013 at 16:15
I may have some larkspur spare after i have sown mine from a seed swap. Will let you know
13/01/2013 at 19:53

Hi Gardengirl, always amazes me that those seeds and tiny seedlings grow into great plants.  I sowed snapdragon seeds last year in January and had a fantastic display last year.........These plants are still very much alive now so I'm hoping they will flower the 2nd year.  It was my first year of collecting and sowing seeds from the Ragged Robin, I sowed them fresh off the plant, possibly mid Summer and had really good results. From the little I have read they might not do so well from an early sowing.

Larkspurs, tried them indoors in Spring...........nothing. Reused the compost for other stuff, left outside, bingo- 2 larkspurs. I at the time thought I was growing sweet peas. Sowed some seeds later on in the season and now I'm overwintering 8-10 Larkspur plants in my coldframe.

My white snapdragons, mixed forget me nots. Tom Thumb and Aubriettas have all germinated inside. I did bring in those that were in my cold frame and within 12 hours,pale lemon wallflowers and Calendulas were popping through.

13/01/2013 at 21:07

So have you guys sown Calendula just now aswell?

13/01/2013 at 21:49

My success rate for anything sown in January or February is zero Plants germinate but once  out of the heated propagator they keel over and die, it's clearly to cold for them in the spare bedroom but short of putting on the central heating 24hr 7 I usually wait until at least March before sowing anything.

I've geraniums doing well in the kitchen though (they haven't died yet) and plan to sow aubergines in February this year. Any help with keeping stuff alive would be most helpful. I've antirrhinum which can be sown now   

14/01/2013 at 17:13

Hey Sam I have managed to find my seeds of Larkspur - (the seven dwarfs) ones it's a new pack got miss placed but I have just found them. Few more seedlings of both Liatris purple and honesty have come up that's good

I normally sow a few seeds but most of them wait until March when my plastic greenhouse goes up.

Do I sow seeds of Larkspur in April like on the pack says outside or now?

14/01/2013 at 17:45

Hi Gardengirl

This is just one of the links I read about Larkspur (Ican't find the one that says to put the seeds in the fridge lol) but have a look at this article, hope it helps

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/plantannuals

61 to 80 of 394 messages