London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 394 messages
04/01/2013 at 22:49
Wooohoooo. My first seeds have germinated. Mugwort. Only took about 6 days. Spring is on its way
04/01/2013 at 22:57

Hey great news, have no idea what Mugwort is, but that's really quick

It might be January but we are heading into Spring, the days are getting longer and everything is growing

04/01/2013 at 23:05
Im on my phone and cant upload a pic but will in the morning. Its a lovely airy thick plant. Hang above your bed for good dreams, and can be used to rid kidney stones as well as aid childbirth. Grows up to 5 foot and has a great movement in the wind.
04/01/2013 at 23:15

Mugwort is artemisia.

04/01/2013 at 23:19
I only know my plants by the herbal names. But i will note that down busy lizzie
04/01/2013 at 23:55
Im on my phone and cant upload a pic but will in the morning. Its a lovely airy thick plant. Hang above your bed for good dreams, and can be used to rid kidney stones as well as aid childbirth. Grows up to 5 foot and has a great movement in the wind.
05/01/2013 at 06:11

Hello can someone tell me if its normal that my honeysuckle shrub has started to leaf.I live in northern ireland.

05/01/2013 at 10:00
norman wysner wrote (see)

Hello can someone tell me if its normal that my honeysuckle shrub has started to leaf.I live in northern ireland.

Just the mild weather-it will stop if/when it gets colder.

05/01/2013 at 10:32
Mins is the sane Norman Wysner
05/01/2013 at 13:37

That's good Sam are your seeds indoors they must be fast seeds - mine not shown themselves yet but has not been that long I suppose since I sowed them same day but different seeds. I do have cuttings that I took of cornus dogwood red indoors that seems to be in leaf but no signs of roots yet only done about 3 weeks ago in plastic cup - don't know if they should be somewhere cooler to root. Any one know?

05/01/2013 at 13:41

My hardwood cuttings are outside. Inside warmth might bring them into leaf at the expense of roots. 

05/01/2013 at 13:43

I don't think they do Gardengirl. Mines are in a propagator on the windowsill but will be heading to the greenhouse in a couple of days. Tomatoes are up as from this morning too. The rest have been sown for maybe 3 weeks??? Lazy wee monkeys lol

05/01/2013 at 13:51

Tomatoes-this early??

Have you got a heated greenhouse Sam?

05/01/2013 at 13:59

Geoff's correct Sam.

Unless you have/are prepared to heat a greenhouse to keep things going, it's way too early yet for most things. The seedlings are going to get very etiolated with the still lack of light, even if they have warmth.

IME far better to wait until at least mid- Feb at the earliest for most things. Unless it does say on the packet January fine for that particular plant.

Yes, we're all itching to get going, but time spent now checking that you've got all the bits that you need, tidying out shed etc is not wasted & Feb will soon arrive. J.

05/01/2013 at 14:01

No, they are in the house. I didnt expect them to come up so quick. I did the same last year and they were great. Had a fantastic harvest off them as well. To be honest. Im kinda experimenting this year with alot of stuff. All part of the adventure

05/01/2013 at 14:04

Oh Sam-you have started weeks to early-especially for tomatoes and you are in Fife?

Sorry but I would have waited till March-what are you going to do about frost protection poor light levels etc?

05/01/2013 at 14:11

Hmmm, the greenhouse has wrap in it and the tomatoes? I only planted 2 just to see what they would do. 

I know the mugwort is safe to plant now. I always wonder how garden centres get their tomatoes started so early when I was planting. I may have been a little hasty in the toms.

05/01/2013 at 14:15

Love the the enthusiasm but stay calm and relax-we have weeks yet-it is only 5th January

My fear is you are wasting time, energy, and money

There is some cold weather on the way-be very afraid

05/01/2013 at 14:18

The GCs get their tomatoes from commercial growers with huge heated greenhouses. I usually buy 2 from the GC in March, which would have been sown in January then I sow the others in a small electric propagater in March. Then they live in the greenhouse, I have a Kerosene heater to keep the frost at bay. We don't usually have frosts after end of April, but Feb; March can be very cold.

05/01/2013 at 14:37
sotongeoff wrote (see)

Love the the enthusiasm but stay calm and relax-we have weeks yet-it is only 5th January

My fear is you are wasting time, energy, and money

There is some cold weather on the way-be very afraid

I can be a little over excitable when it comes to my garden. Not doin so well if made my first stinker in Jan lol. I guess I need to sit on my hands a little longer.

Lizzie,

That explains why when I asked them they said they were planted in Jan. They didnt tell me they have heated greenhouses etc. 

OK, so, new years resolution...sit on my hands, nail my feet to the floor and hide the tomato seeds lol.

1 to 20 of 394 messages