Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Seeds as wedding favours

My daughter is getting married in July this year and would like to give seeds to guests.  What seeds would be appropriate at this time of year - I think they would need to be sowable straight into the soil.

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,013

Hell Christine - What a lovely idea image My first thought is Annuals - poppies,cornflowers,calendula,candytuft etc. If they don't flower this year they may early next year. Others will probably come up with better suggestions image

Pam x

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Love-in-the mist. Foxgloves, Violas, Sweet Williams.

This sounds like a lovely idea but in reality, gardeners want to grow specific plants and seeds are hard work for non gardeners.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    Christine2 wrote (see)

My daughter is getting married in July this year and would like to give seeds to guests.  What seeds would be appropriate at this time of year - I think they would need to be sowable straight into the soil.

Daughter's name? -there just might be a flower or something to match it.

• GeorgiaIGeorgiaI Posts: 4

I saw some in an M&S Outlet store just the other day, already packaged.  Think they were around £2.99 each which could work out quite expensive though depending on how many guests but would save alot of work.  Unfortunately I have no idea what type of seeds were in the pretty little packages!! (obviously didn't have my 'gardening' head on that day, rather my 'friend of soon to be bride' head).

• IzzyLizIzzyLiz Posts: 1

The Green Seed Company http://www.thegreenseedcompany.com/weddingseedfavours.asp 

does gorgeous personalised seed favours.

• lesinnllesinnl Posts: 43

I live in the Netherlands, and it is a given that there is always a surprise gift to the bride and groom on top of the gift list.  I have been to weddings where we had to bring a cooking recipe with a bottle of wine to have with the meal, that sort of thing.  On my wedding day my surprise gift was "seeds/bulbs or something from your own garden that means something to you that the bride and groom can put to use in their garden"  I got married in September, so received loads of bulbs,  I received loads of bridal flower bulbs, I had never heard of this plant in the UK, but they are a pretty white flower..

maybe she could give seeds from a flower in her bouquet with simple instructions of when/where to sew...

I must just add that the instructions to my guests was to not present the seeds in their original packet...I have to say had my car been stopped by the police that night, with lots of seeds in suspicious packages, my wedding night would be for another forum... 

Have a wonderful day...

• Moonlit HareMoonlit Hare Posts: 153
    I used to work in a hotel and did a wedding once where all the ladies got lavender plants they where only a couple of inches tall and in pretty little pots painted to match the bridesmaids with ribbon around them. It looked beautiful. X
  • lettuces, beetroot or radish would be able to be planted and get some crops from if planted in July - but not very romantic

Marigolds, holly hocks, foxgloves can all be sewn in the summer for flowers the following year, plus all that have been mentioned earlier

july is a difficult time of year for seeds as most things want to be in already if they are going to flower the same year nd over wintering seedlings can be a bit of a pain.

Sunflowers might be a good suggestion (not just cos they are my name sake image ) but they are so easy, you might get flowers by September, but all seeds have a shelf life so would be totally fine until next year

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    Christine2 wrote (see)

Christine2 wrote (see)

So lots of suggestion Christine2-did you like any of them ?

It would be nice to know as so many people went to the trouble of answering.