London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 14°C
7 messages
17/09/2012 at 13:53

This is my first year of collecting seeds and I am now gettin quite excited about my new venture. I have had a greenhouse donated to me and would like to know if there are any perennial seeds I can plant now and bring on in the greenhouse for my garden next year?

17/09/2012 at 14:52

Yes- Lupins, Heleniums, Aquilegias.  Verbascums, Violas. what seeds have you collected.

17/09/2012 at 15:07

Indeed, some perennial seeds need to be sown fresh from the plant if they are to germinate at all and some need a period of cold followed by warmth to get them to grow. For example Pulsatilla vulgaris is better from fresh seeds. Hepaticas will virtually only grow from fresh seed (better collected when green too). Paeonies need repeated cold/warm periods to grow.

17/09/2012 at 16:12

What happens in nature is that, as the seed pods ripen, then the seeds just fall to the ground. So they get sown at this time.

If you've collected seeds, then you could sow some of them now, and keep some back to sow in the Spring. So that if some plants fail to get though the Winter, you could still sow again in the Spring.

Seeds sown in trays or pots may have better survival chances than those sown directly into the ground, where the little seedlings might easily get eaten by slugs.

13/12/2012 at 21:24

That's great folks. Thankyou. I have loads of wild viola and things like delphiniums, aquilegias and sage seeds as well as a few more. I have no patience lol

13/12/2012 at 22:00

Sow the aquilegias and the violas, save the delphiniums and sage for later

13/12/2012 at 22:39

I will do. Thank you

email image
7 messages