London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 36 messages
09/04/2014 at 12:22

The other day on another thread someone mentioned plants having sentimental value.

Well, I thought I would share my 3 baby (1 year old) Monkey Puzzle Trees that I have received today with you.  I have bought one each for my 3 boys, OH has always wanted a Monkey Puzzle Tree but we haven't really got the room and they are so expensive.  So these three, when a bit bigger will go in  big planters and the idea is that when my little boy and big boy leave home (  ) they can take their Monkey Puzzle Tree with them and keep it forever, by then they should be lovely trees but can be kept smallish (by MPT standards) by keeping them in a big pot.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/41890.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

09/04/2014 at 15:02

OrchidLady,

There are three Monkey Puzzle trees within two miles of me in perfect health the thing being I know one was there before 1939 and the other two shortly after.

The trees are around 25-30 feet high with a spread of around 14, is it possible to keep them in pots all their lives,  My book says Araucaria is a conifer usually grown as a shade tolerant house plant, must admit to never seeing one inside.

My Plant is Paeonia,  officinalis Rubra-Red, I grew up with it in our walled garden Dad said it had been there before he was born a huge bush with wonderful large flowers that fascinated me as a child, it travelled by cuttings with my Sister and I and is settled outside my Conservatory, the memories it holds.

My wife loved Snowdrops, we always had clumps around the garden so imagine my surprise on taking flowers to her plot at Norton Church to see a complete sea of snowdrops covering the ground right down to her plot, three years now but the memories still flood in when I see them.

Frank.

09/04/2014 at 16:17

We have quite a few Monkey Puzzle Trees near us and I didn't know until recently they could be be kept as a houseplant, mine will certainly be outside.  Apparently, they can be kept in a pot and it keeps them smaller and they can live to be up to 1000 years old (I was reading today!!)

I love Paeonia too, we had one at our first house that was there already, if I knew then what I know now I would have attempted to take a cutting as I loved it.

I planted 200+ snowdrops in the green last month 

Thank you for sharing your stories Frank 

09/04/2014 at 16:23

I bought a Japanese maple in memory of my parents. It is a twin trunk tree, red with deeply filigreed leaves. My mum died the day we found out that my wife was pregnant with my daughter and I think that she heard me when she was in a coma as she rubbed my hand. She died the next day with my dad following after, so the maple is my sentimental plant.

The MPT seedlings look totty in those pots, but should double in size this year with and branch out. Watch for the roots trying to go through the pot into the ground!

09/04/2014 at 16:26

They will struggle to get through that ground Blairs, they are stood on concrete  They look so cute and tiny, I just need to find some nice big planters for them now to give them room to grow over the years without disturbing the roots.

Lovely story about your Japanese Maple, well not lovely circumstances but you know what I mean. I'm sure your mum did hear you.

09/04/2014 at 18:51

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/DogRose-1.jpg

Well, Frank, how nice is it to see you around on the forum again......hope you are keeping well.

The dog rose has pleasant childhood memories for me.

09/04/2014 at 19:11

Tracey there is a monkey puzzle tree, not far from here. Where did you get them that tiny.

What a wonderful idea, you'll have to put thier names on the pot so you can see the different shapes they grow.

09/04/2014 at 19:27

I have a couple of sentimental plants in the garden.  They are priceless.  Where else but in your own garden can you keep such wonderful reminders of loved ones?

09/04/2014 at 19:34

And because they're living things it means more Verd doesn't it? The person carries on living too. 

09/04/2014 at 19:35

I have quite a lot of sentimental ones too - ones with special names, or ones given by people who are not with us any more.

I often hear/read "true" garden designers say there is no room for sentimentality in a garden - if a plant doesn't "fit" then uproot it regardless.  Well they better not come anywhere near my garden, as the special associations are what gives it the character and meaning.

in actual fact, i am waiting delivery of 3 clematis on Friday - Constance, Mary Rose and Natascha ...... And they weren't picked for their flowers alone (although luckily they are very pretty too)

09/04/2014 at 20:12

Hi David, yes all well just been very busy, a couple of friends asked about me so I thought it best to put minds at rest, not pushing up daisies.

Dog Roses are my Aunt Mabel we would take a trug and search the hedges around the farm for her herbs and potions, back in the big warm kitchen always smelling of fresh bread she would make up her medicines I was a lad who often got dosed, my guess would be they were mainly home made wines but did the trick. Rose hips were also made into jams and medicine, I was told never pick the dog roses unless the petals were for a salad.

This forum is addictive I only intended to dip in and out.

Frank.

09/04/2014 at 20:15

Frank 

09/04/2014 at 20:18

I've just bought Constance chicky. It's by the back gate and very pretty. Nice bright foliage too. Think I posted a pic on the garden gallery. It's a bit tangled as it had obviously been in the pot a while but it'll be better next year.

09/04/2014 at 20:25

Lycnis coronaria. It was the first plant I grew from seed, which came from my FILs garden. That was over 20 years ago, but I still grow the seeds every few years to replace those that have died.

My FIL helped to get me interested in gardening when I got married and bought our current house, which had a lot of garden that had not been tended for many years. I grow many plants that were seeds, cuttings or divisions from plants in his garden, that he showed me how to take.

I sometimes wonder what he would make of what I have turned the garden into and hope that he would approve.

09/04/2014 at 20:27

I bet he'd love it doc 

09/04/2014 at 20:42

I'm sure he is looking on and smiling pdoc

Fairy - i know you have Constance - it was you that gave me the idea.  And whilst i was on the Taylors website some others caught my eye

09/04/2014 at 20:43

chicky 

09/04/2014 at 20:48
Palaisglide wrote (see)

Hi David, yes all well just been very busy, a couple of friends asked about me so I thought it best to put minds at rest, not pushing up daisies.

This forum is addictive I only intended to dip in and out.

Frank.

Really great to see you, Frank.....have you down as Bruce Forsyth's replacement on Strictly.

'Forum addictive'....never a truer word!

09/04/2014 at 21:30

Its amassing how gardening makes us think about the loved one we have lost.When my dear dad passed away , my wife and I decided to plant a purple acer in his memory.I was a bit worried that the frost would take it so in winter in went in the GH.But ever year it has got bigger and better and now it holds a special place in my garden. My dad was not a lover of gardening but he admired how people made the great effort to garden and produce beautiful gardens

The acer was brought in memory of my dad but the memories are always there.

God bless you dad

09/04/2014 at 21:35

Every time I look at my Hostas I feel the love of the person who gave them to me - someone special who for the time being is in my life - and for that I am grateful x

1 to 20 of 36 messages