London (change)
Today 8°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 46 messages
18/11/2012 at 21:22

I found two Elwesii snowdrops in my garden this morning with the flower-buds showing .

Spent all day in the garden, grinning just like this 

18/11/2012 at 21:38

I knew spring was on the way - that proves it. It was lovely out there today. The only snowdrops I've seen are the ones desperately in need of splitting up, some are being pushed above soil level. I've been making promises for years but it takes a very long time to split and replant a good clump of snowdrops. 

18/11/2012 at 22:06

I've crocus coming through and there's also lots of buds and flowers just beginning to show  on a clematis cirrhosa 

18/11/2012 at 22:53
Got fat buds on hellebores just pushing through the soil. Glad winter is over
19/11/2012 at 09:29

Good heavens! In Dordogne I'm surrounded by flame coloured trees and it was up to 17° this week. It was down to -4° heavy frost 2 weeks ago so that was the end of bedding plants and dahlias. I probably won't see any signs of bulbs until January. This year it was so cold in February that the snowdrops went back to bed until March!

19/11/2012 at 10:11

Everything is upside down in my garden, I've had perpetual flowering hellebores this summer and the big shoots are getting ready for next year. There's a kniphofia coming up to flower, Cyclamen have been at it for 4 months. Chrysanths have been very late and look good from a distance, not close to though, no chance of one of my 'stick it in a vase' flower arrangements. 

19/11/2012 at 12:40

I have a climbing rose that's decided to flower again,looks quite sweet growing out through the pyracanthas berries.

19/11/2012 at 12:45

The muscari are starting to show their shoots in my front- I always have to take care when cutting back dead/dying stuff as I tend to think it's grass! They wont flower until they should, but it's nice to see them up & ready to go. J.

22/11/2012 at 17:16

Everything's upside down. Our dahlias did'nt start to flower until October ? Overall tomatoes (greenhouse) were hopeless, as were beetroot and I had to sow  French beans several times to get enough germinated - mind you they eventually cropped well. Raspberries were disappointing but apples were best ever.

22/11/2012 at 21:28

I have clematis  that have flowered again and been out for a month

22/11/2012 at 22:02

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/15987.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/15985.jpg?width=518&height=350&mode=max

Top photo is clematis Perle d'Azure in July - normal. Bottom photo is same clematis in early January this year. It had died back in Oct/Nov after frosts, then re-started in mild winter weather. But this summer it has been pathetic. We had -17° and snow in February and spring growth was very poor.

22/11/2012 at 22:04

Above I meant to say July 2011 for the blue clematis.

23/11/2012 at 08:48
Some hellebore flower buds emerging from the soil. Mind you, hellebores have been floweriing for most of the summer. Mahonia now in full flower some 6 weeks early. Still have echinaceas, frikartii monch, sedums and some tender subjects in flower
23/11/2012 at 09:41

My new agapanthus ignored me all summer and started flowering mid October... I also took 4 fuschia "Winston Churchill" out of the basket they've been in throughout the summer and potted them on, and again, loads of flowers now!

23/11/2012 at 12:16

I have two clematis with new shoots on .....  the Jackmanii failed in the summer due to powdery mildew so hope it's going to be OK for next year.  Not sure what I should do with it - usually prune it around March time - any suggestions would be very welcome ......

23/11/2012 at 12:25
I think I'd prune it as usual and give it a dollop of Rose fertiliser or similar
23/11/2012 at 18:17

The standard fuchsias I brought into the unheated conservatory a few weeks ago have put out lots of new shoots and also flower buds, Icouldn't believe what I was seeing, obviously they think spring is on the way not Christmas!!!!!  

26/11/2012 at 10:19

Ive got an Echinacea that's still valiantly trying to flower, bit late or way too early? as i was expecting to see it's first flowers next year. Snap dragons and rudebekias still going although I think there will be a frost this week. I've got a few spring bulbs sprouting, roll on springtime

26/11/2012 at 10:34

Sorry to shatter all illusions and dreams-but Spring has been postponed or relocated to is usual spot-it is set to get colder from mid week--with frosts even talk of snow in some areas-so all those plants that have been kidding you and themselves will get a short sharp shock.

Be afraid-be very afraid

26/11/2012 at 10:51
Dovefromabove wrote (see)
I think I'd prune it as usual and give it a dollop of Rose fertiliser or similar

Thanks, I'll give that a go.  I did try some anti fungus spray at the end of last year as it looked so awful covered in powdery mildew, but didn't seem to make much difference.  Hope it's better this year, it's a cutting from my Dad's plant that I've had for about five  years and usually it is fantasic.

1 to 20 of 46 messages