Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Signs of Spring!!!

I found two Elwesii snowdrops in my garden this morning with the flower-buds showing .

Spent all day in the garden, grinning just like this image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I knew spring was on the way - that proves it. It was lovely out there today. The only snowdrops I've seen are the ones desperately in need of splitting up, some are being pushed above soil level. I've been making promises for years but it takes a very long time to split and replant a good clump of snowdrops. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I've crocus coming through and there's also lots of buds and flowers just beginning to show  on a clematis cirrhosa 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Good heavens! In Dordogne I'm surrounded by flame coloured trees and it was up to 17° this week. It was down to -4° heavy frost 2 weeks ago so that was the end of bedding plants and dahlias. I probably won't see any signs of bulbs until January. This year it was so cold in February that the snowdrops went back to bed until March!

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Everything is upside down in my garden, I've had perpetual flowering hellebores this summer and the big shoots are getting ready for next year. There's a kniphofia coming up to flower, Cyclamen have been at it for 4 months. Chrysanths have been very late and look good from a distance, not close to though, no chance of one of my 'stick it in a vase' flower arrangements. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I have a climbing rose that's decided to flower again,looks quite sweet growing out through the pyracanthas berries.image

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

The muscari are starting to show their shoots in my front- I always have to take care when cutting back dead/dying stuff as I tend to think it's grass! They wont flower until they should, but it's nice to see them up & ready to go. J.

• Everything's upside down. Our dahlias did'nt start to flower until October ? Overall tomatoes (greenhouse) were hopeless, as were beetroot and I had to sow  French beans several times to get enough germinated - mind you they eventually cropped well. Raspberries were disappointing but apples were best ever.

• I have clematis  that have flowered again and been out for a month

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Top photo is clematis Perle d'Azure in July - normal. Bottom photo is same clematis in early January this year. It had died back in Oct/Nov after frosts, then re-started in mild winter weather. But this summer it has been pathetic. We had -17° and snow in February and spring growth was very poor.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.