Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Skimea pics i hope again

as ni said something eating them,

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

That looks like the dreaded vine weevil Alan image

We found that watering on nematodes really worked image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Hi Dove ,sorry to ask i know nothing about vine weevil,wot is it and what do you look for to find it please,perhaps a burn would be best, by the way you cant tell but its in a big tub.

This thread will show you what the adults look like - they come out at night - when we had a lot of them I'd go out in the evening with a torch and look on and under the leaves and squidge them.

The real b*****ds are their grubs which look like this 

They live underground and eat the roots of your plants - they particularly like primulas and love to get into pots of nice compost with lots of lovely plant roots.  image

Get a load of nematodes - I got mine via Amazon - and water them into the soil - you then have to keep the soil moist for a while - they sorted the problem for us.  

You can only do it in the summer when the soil is above a certain temperature and as the nematodes are alive you have to water them on pretty soon after you receive them.

Good luck - you'll probably have to be very nice to Kate to get her to cart watering cans full of water and nematodes around image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Cor blimey,don't they know iv got enough problems at the momentimage right many thanks Dove for that wonderful news Amazon here i come,iv noticed the other one has slight damage as well,Cheers for that Dove 

Thanks Edd image - I forgot the link image

More info here Alan http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=234 

Got that as well many thanks Edd, Dove.