London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 40 messages
23/02/2014 at 20:36

I have just bought 6 Tala storage jars from a local homewares shop, in all intents exactly the same as Kilners. However on reading the small print it specifically says no boiling water, and not to use in the oven. With Kilners my traditional method was to sterilize the jars in the oven then top up the fruit with boiling water. Does anybody have any tips or have I wasted my money ?

Many thanks all.

23/02/2014 at 20:48

Are they sold as preserving jars or storage jars?

23/02/2014 at 20:58

Are they dishwasher proof and do you have a dishwasher?  If so, that's an option, if not then use Milton sterilising fluid or the sterilising tablets that are used when making wine, you can get them in Wilkinsons.

I make both jams and wine and hope this helps

23/02/2014 at 21:16

I sterilise a lot of wine making equipment with baby sterilising tabs.

23/02/2014 at 21:17

Ooh, artjak, you make wine too.....maybe we should start another thread.  I once tried joining a wine making forum, very odd people who weren't at all friendly so I gave up

23/02/2014 at 21:20

I'm afraid they are labeled as storage nutcutlet. Just goes to show that you shouldn't be seduced by a bargain and that there is no substitute for the real thing. I think I've just gained some extra space for pasta and rice !

23/02/2014 at 21:34

Aways look on the bright side Ivy

23/02/2014 at 21:36

Could you not buy replacement seals for them, Kilner sell seals is they are the same size and it should be ok?

23/02/2014 at 21:47

Thanks Tracey but the seals are the orange rubber ones exactly as would have been on a Kilner jar.

23/02/2014 at 22:12

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tala-950-Classic-Airtight-Storage/dp/B002SPDRZK/ref=sr_1_1/276-3532335-1958219?ie=UTF8&qid=1393193391&sr=8-1&keywords=tala+jars#productDescription

Are these the same jars Ivy? If so, I think they will be ok for preserving. Why don't you try something that de isn't matter if it spoils and see? They say they are air tight so should be ok 

24/02/2014 at 01:44

Ivy, you could sterilise as the ideas above, then do pickles such as beetroot and onions that can use cold vinegar. I've used hot and cold methods for pickling, with slightly different results but still good. 

Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)

Ooh, artjak, you make wine too.....maybe we should start another thread.  I once tried joining a wine making forum, very odd people who weren't at all friendly so I gave up

I totally agree, Tracey. I tried too, and asked for help. They were really up their own bums! I really fancy making a redcurrant and raspberry sparkling wine from my freezer stores, but they were no help whatsoever. What do you say, artjak?

24/02/2014 at 02:00

I've been on lots of other forums too, to do with growing, preserving, crafts, wine and beer making, even dog grooming. It seems as if people don't really want to share their skills, or have no time to explain the basics to 'newbies'. Lots of discussion between experienced members, but it seems you must have some basic knowledge to be accepted, or to understand the jargon. NOT at all like this forum, who love to share, help and educate The biggest problem with this forum is that gardening can take a huge amount of time in it's simplest forms. Then you get on here, it takes up more hours of your time as it is so interesting, THEN it makes your gardening take longer still as you see all of these new ideas, plants you want, etc, so you get back on the forum for help or clarification, see something else etc etc etc!

Any form of gardening is addictive. This site and it's people make it doubly so! Down to earth is a saying that can be applied literally and figuratively. Long may it last, although it could be easy to run out of hours in a day!

24/02/2014 at 07:00

If anyone wants the details of a Foody Forum with a 'Cellar' section where all sorts of alcofrolics are discussed and friendly help given - including the making of wines and beers - just let me know - I can guarantee they're a friendly bunch - you may even meet one or two people you already know on there   Definitely not up our own btms 

There's not a lot of winemaking being discussed on there at the moment as it's not the time of year, but you'd be very welcome indeed 

I would normally put the site on here as it's a public forum, but given recent events, just send me a PM and I'll give you a link.

24/02/2014 at 18:20

Tracey new and garden j, I'm not very knowledgeable about wine making, the last time I talked to a neighbour about it, he became rather superior and said,'Of course you haven't got to the stage where you can blend your own wines yet'. I have always found the easiest way when I have a glut of fruit, for example quinces is to just google wine recipes and choose the one that 'feels' right

I agree that not passing on info is mean. I can understand when it comes to paid work; I wouldn't give away paint processes that have taken me years to develop; but wine making is a hobby. I do have some interesting pickle recipes though; pickled garlic in balsamic is pretty amazing.

24/02/2014 at 18:32

Bet that packs a punch artjak!  I made wine one year - my advice would be not to bother with plum - we had a glut of Victoria plums, but it had a funny flavour - like a rough brandy.  Blackberry was nice and light, apple was very drinkable, but a bit boring, but my favourite by far was elderberry - a natural with cheese and biscuits.  I only did it once and was therefore, definitely a newbie, and it wasn't difficult, so don't let anyone put you off.  I only stopped because it was so time consuming when I was working full time.

24/02/2014 at 19:28
It sounds like you go about wine making in the same way as I do Artjak, which is probably why I was welcomed on the forum......Newbies not allowed in wine making
24/02/2014 at 19:49

I haven't made wine for years. There was a time when 5 or 6 5 gallon drums were fermenting at once.  I never tried plum though Bbee. Some of my best were gooseberry and oakleaf (not together), both of which had a secondary fermentation, and sugar beet some years (other years it refused to clear)

24/02/2014 at 20:14

Oh gooseberry - wow!  When I was a student (many moons ago) I waitressed in a posh restaurant in Manchester  which had a wide selection of wines and beers, including some 'novelty' beverages, one of which was gooseberry champagne and it was gorgeous - nicer than the real thing.  I would definitely make that, but by secondary fermentation, do you mean it was fizzy?  It is harder to bottle then isn't it? and prone to explosions?  But my goodness, if it were anything like I remember, probably worth the risk.  I would also be tempted to try elderflower champagne as I love the cordial....  I still have a lot of my equipment in the shed.... hmmmm!

24/02/2014 at 20:18

I don't understand how it works Bee, but you ferment it right out and bottle it. Then when you open the bottle there's a bit of a fizz. I never had any problems with it and it might be that the fizz doesn't happen til the cork comes out.

Someone more knowledgeable might explain it for us. 

24/02/2014 at 20:44
Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tala-950-Classic-Airtight-Storage/dp/B002SPDRZK/ref=sr_1_1/276-3532335-1958219?ie=UTF8&qid=1393193391&sr=8-1&keywords=tala+jars#productDescription

Are these the same jars Ivy? If so, I think they will be ok for preserving. Why don't you try something that de isn't matter if it spoils and see? They say they are air tight so should be ok 

One and the same Tracey. I'm going to give them a try with some marmalade, bubbling away nicely at the moment. Fingers crossed. Thank you to all for the messages. This place is great isn't it ?

1 to 20 of 40 messages