London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
07/08/2014 at 15:08

.... the bottom of their garden.  Not me, I have this (I did on Tuesday evening anyway)

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/55607.jpg?width=187&height=350&mode=max

07/08/2014 at 16:14

Those big machines are usually red or yellow here and next door we have these who like to keep an eye on me when I'm gardening.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/55651.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

07/08/2014 at 16:16

What beautiful beasts, I'm jealous.  Are they noisy or just nosey

07/08/2014 at 17:22

Very nosey.   Belgian Bleu Blanc (Blue Whites) - beef cattle who spend the summer in the field growing babies.   There's always a bull with them and it's usually OK but one year he wasn't at all friendly and complained every time he saw us outside - snorting, pawing, spraying poo, giving us the evil eye and leaning on the fence if we got too close.  

07/08/2014 at 18:07

Oh crikey, maybe I'm not jealous after all but they're very handsome.  Cattle are incredibly nosey aren't they? Nearly all arable round here (E Anglia) but when I was little (many years ago) most farmers had a few cows out - they weren't dangerous but quite frightening when they followed you at close quarters, specially when you're knee high to a grasshopper!

07/08/2014 at 18:32

It's the bullocks that are scary as they are so inquisitive (nosy) and stampede around in huge groups.

07/08/2014 at 18:39

obelixx - that picture is hilarious!! It reminds me of my fishing days when I would be followed through fields by curious cattle.

07/08/2014 at 19:55

Awwwwww, they are GORGEOUS, I love cows  If they lived at the bottom of my garden, I definitely wouldn't eat beef 

07/08/2014 at 20:15

Obelixx; that had me laughing, they all look so serious!

07/08/2014 at 20:55

They were bemused.  That holly hedge is at the southern end of our east boundary with teh paddock.  There is a wire mesh fence on the southern boundary between us and the road and I had gone out to cut out a new bed and plant it up so I was back and forth with tools, wheelbarrow, plants and the hosepipe and they just found it all fascinating.

We've had to put up a barrier of steel mesh (for reinforcing concrete) to stop the cows eating the tops of the holly hedge which was planted in 2002 and got wider every year but not taller.  Now it's 4' high and full of berries so doing well.

This year's bull is a real softy.   Here's the one that wasn't.  All muscle and no brain -

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/55732.jpg?width=450&height=350&mode=max

08/08/2014 at 01:13

I can't believe I nearly missed this thread as was late on tonight!

Dyers I loved the Tractor and obelixx your pics are fantastic! At first I thought you was kidding  

Def gonna show all to oh tomorrow  Then he will understand and forgive why I was up so late 

08/08/2014 at 07:30

Combine harvester BM - absolutely ginormous - and he had to stop when it got too dark (about 10pm).  Then it rained so it'll be back another day

08/08/2014 at 07:31

Love beef cattle - we used to raise Hereford x beef cattle on the smallholding - 

Grew up with combines but they've got a lot bigger nowadays - brother has this one http://www.wnif.co.uk/articles/700/1/John-Deere-New-S-Series-includes-worlds-largest-combine/Page1.html (or maybe two or three by now - I can't keep track )

08/08/2014 at 07:59

That's a big one Dove, I reckon you could live in the cab!  Probably costs more than a house mind you

08/08/2014 at 08:48

obelixx - that bull looks a mean machine a bit like a Charolais bull we had to get past a couple of weeks ago.  He had his 'ladies' with him but he was still very lively and kept thundering very close to us.  Hereford bulls are a lot more placid. We were worried about this Charolais guy especially as a lady farmer was with us and she was worried too.

DyersEnd - my word that harvester is huge

08/08/2014 at 09:25

Dyers end I so knew you would correct me  But it was very late and I was tired 

Youve given me John Deere envy Dove! 

08/08/2014 at 09:30
DyersEnd wrote (see)

That's a big one Dove, I reckon you could live in the cab!  Probably costs more than a house mind you

More than mine at any rate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   More than a couple of mine and then some I expect 

KEF
08/08/2014 at 09:37

I'm glad I didn't miss this thread, great pictures  

08/08/2014 at 09:38

I do have fairies at the end of the garden though.....

well - they're in the house more I suppose...

We had cows in the field just across from us at last house. Someone rented it from our neighbour for the extra land, and brought some youngsters each year for the  summer.  They used to stand at the fence in the late afternoon and watch when we were working in the garden. Not sure I have any pix though. My ex's house had a farm field backing onto his garden and the residents often used to stand there looking in. 

08/08/2014 at 10:33

Never mind pix of the cows, where are the pix of the fairies Fairygirl? 

1 to 20 of 25 messages