London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
14 messages
06/08/2013 at 17:37

Its been a much better day here in france for gardening,

Not the boiling hot weather we've had for the last two weeks,

And so ive been out all day catching up with the weeding ive wanted to do for ages,

the borders are a bit behind ref weeding all due to the very wet easter start to the gardenig & having a large garden once things get behind it's a life time to catch up again.

I myself like weeding, i get a lot of satisfaction out of clearing the borders and still after years of gardening im amazed how quick a wheel barrow can be filled with weeds.

Some people may say  "get a life" Well to those people i'll reply now by saying ive got the life i enjoy and the gardening along with our dogs is for us perfect.

06/08/2013 at 18:46

Ditto Smokin Donkey, great sense of satisfaction seeing borders weeded and tidied up.

06/08/2013 at 20:36

Smokin Donkey what is this "catching up " with weeding? When and how do you manage to do that? I am always one step away from being inundated with weeds everywhere I turn.

06/08/2013 at 21:14

same here wb, I lost the battle years ago

06/08/2013 at 21:22

I like weeding  I like doing it on my hands and knees with a little hand hoe, and I like doing it in the veg patch with a Dutch hoe.  So satisfying - I plan to spend much more time doing it .... when I retire 

06/08/2013 at 21:30

Are you retiring Dove? You never mentioned it....

I like weeding. I find it hard to sit for long in the garden -always need a project- and there's always a little weed nearby that needs yanking out....

06/08/2013 at 22:01

I find weeding very satisfying - never admitted that before 

06/08/2013 at 23:00

Hello Smokin Donkey. I live in France too, Dordogne. I'm always weeding, except when it's too hot. I'm sure I have more weeds than most people, is it something to do with France, even the ants and slugs are bigger here!

06/08/2013 at 23:02

Does everyone else get "Wyre Forest" and no info when they click on my avator pic? I've reported it several times, no dif.

06/08/2013 at 23:18

B-L, Yep!

07/08/2013 at 08:00

I don't get Wyre Forest - I get the general explanation of what My Profile is, then the little bit I wrote about me and my garden is tacked on the end.  It's not how it usually is .... there do seem to be some blips with the forum at the moment - they're probably short staffed, school hols etc. 

07/08/2013 at 09:18

Yep Lizzie but it does say more comming soon........

07/08/2013 at 14:45

Yes, but wrote the more ages ago and it's gone!

07/08/2013 at 22:44

REF the catch up,

If you want to take a leaf out of mother natures book use plenty of wood chips, /bark as a mulch and the weeds wont be so rampant,

leaf mold is an other good weed deterrent,

Just take a walk through a forest deep in the wooded area and you'll see very few weeds thanks to the trees falling leaves falling year after year.

Weeds like the plants we want in the garden need light water and air,/food

If you stop light getting to the weeds you've a good chance of not being over run with them,

birds drop seeds but this is nothing to worry about.

Ive a 2 acre garden and an allotment and weeds are kept at bay as much as possible.

The old victorian way ie mulching works well for me.

email image
14 messages