Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Some useful info and some good for a laugh!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/gardening/article-2614575/Want-plants-bloom-Give-nice-cup-tea-glass-milk-follow-Some-surprising-tips-gardener-know.html

I obviously don't believe everything I read in the Daily Mail but just had a read through this article, some of the tips I know already but some are new (and a bit ridiculous!!).

I thought I would share to slightly educate and have a laugh image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I can't get in to that link OLimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

Going to the 'loo' in the garden! image

Funny tho was going to ask you OL on saturday if you got the Mail, as there are rhubarb recipes in tv part. And Monty has a bit on alpines.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

That's better, thanks Eddimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Sorry you couldn't see it Nut and thanks Edd image

I liked the one about the baubles too.  Also the orange and the ants......can you seriously imagine me doing that, urghhhhhhhh. image

Banana skins in the sweet peas, if like to know David K's view on that one, seems a bit bonkers to me image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I think I might start making the men in our house use the outside toilet imageimage

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Hmmm - interesting - I wonder how many of them work.  When I'm in the garden I always pee on the heap and we all know about planting mint in a bucket (must do that, actually...)  I'll try match heads for the chillies too.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

I tried the banana skin trick a few years back now.I collected lots of skins,chopped them up before chucking them in a bucket and left it to form a sloppy mush.After a few weeks I buried them around my roses.And the result? Didn't make a blind bit of difference as far as I could see.I just felt like I'd wasted my time.But horse manure is a different ball game altogether,my roses grew like crazy.

• BalBal Posts: 93

How long does the tube have to be to stop the mint roots from spreading, and where can I hire the JCB from to dig the hole for it!

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Mint's traditionally planted in a bucket - the bottom (with a few drainage holes) helps....