Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sometimes when you gamble you lose....

Although perhaps a little early in the year I thought I'd take a chance and use the recent good spell of weather to some work on my lawn.

Scarified, raked, aerated, selectively top dressed to even out some hollows and finally overseeded.

I don't think I need a sprinkler, the weather came back:

http://blog.jim-wallis.co.uk/wp-uploads/2015/03/DSC_7893W.jpg

It's less polo field, more water polo pool!

I guess if we have frost whilst it looks like that it will damage the seed and probably kill off the remaining grass? Oh joy, latest forecast is for wintery showers for the next 24 hours! I can't even tell if the seed is still there or has floated/washed/blown away, still it has probably stopped the birds eating it.

What do we all think the chances of the grass surviving this experience are?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Is there a clue in your name? image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BoaterBoater Posts: 241

When the grass is higher and when it was mostly moss, it is impossible to tell how much the water lies so I don't really know how frequently it gets like this. image

Drainage problem, yes image - I buried a cable to the garage last year and found about 1.5 - 2 spade depths of topsoil (with some large stones) under that was clay running almost immediately to what felt like rock (but may have been compacted clay). But I'm not in a hollow or anything so it does dry out reasonably well after the rain stops (it was still hammering down when I took the photo!)

I am in the west of Scotland so stormy wet weather is not rare, but this does seem to be a particularly intense spell we are having right now. I wouldn't be surprised to get home tonight and find a tree down over the back part!

I did note that the photo will be a useful reference next time I get a chance to level the lawn!

I'm not aiming for a perfect lawn for garden parties or playing croquet or anything, it's a boaters lawn, which needs to be nice and soft to gently support my boats when I'm working on them - adjusting outfitting etc. (mainly kayaks and canoes). Ideally not just a moss bed - most of my boats are too tight to wear shoes in and I don't like getting damp socks from stepping on wet spongy moss getting in and out of them image

I had a look this morning (the rain was much lighter and may have stopped overnight) and I could see that there is still grass seed on it so hopefully all is not lost! Fortunately I will be able to keep off it by going away for a few days - hopefully the weather will clear up and I will see some results when I get back! image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Fingers crossed!  A few days of sunshine will make a remarkable difference image

And I was right - your name is relevant image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.