Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Startup Research

Hello.

I am researching a startup which allows gardeners to profit from their produce and the buyers to benefit from a healthier lifestyle. I would be delighted if you could take five minutes to fill in my survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/63DPJPQ

Thank you for your time.

Matt 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

Nice idea Matt, I found even with my small veg plot this year I got a surplus at times, offsetting the costs would always help.

• Hi GemmaJF. Thanks for the feedback. Its great to have some support with the idea. I had exactly the same problem. A small plot with big yields led to a lot of surplus and some waste which ended up in the compost. 

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

As I grow on an allotment site, even if I wanted to, it's against the rules to sell excess crops

• Hi Matt I would love to know locally where to purchase excess veg/honey from a local gardener bee keeper, rather than a shop - think you have a great idea image

• Hi all thank you for the wonderful feedback.

Fleurisa - thats food for thought. I have done a quick google search and found this:http://www.organiclea.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/sellingallotmentproduce.pdf

There seems to be a bit of a grey area surrounding selling from allotments so thank you for making me aware of this. 

Edd - I agree!

StillLearning - The idea for the business is to put communities of veg gardeners and other related producers in touch with one another but in a slightly different way. 

Philippa smith2 - You have read my mind, I'm looking to scale the whole idea of selling surplus from your gate. image

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

It's just a thought but ..........

On the point of selling produce from your allotment. , I wonder if it's same as running a business from your home , would it be classed as a business ? And would you be expected to pay more in the allotment charges, would it be looked at like a market garden ???

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

Thanks philippa...image.... my questions answered in one !image Even in a rantimage!!!!

Must admit  I did at first find it odd that it was against the rules , though looking at your explanation of the allotment  association  it is understandable.image