Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 52 replies

Watched the start up last night of Strictly and from the very beginning my heart sank. Over the years the show bizz bit has overtaken the actual Dance although most years the dance won in the end. This year my forebodings tell me dance will lose, it will become much like the American dancing with the stars all show and little substance.

I ask where did they get those so called Celebs, who are they, what have they done. My feelings are at the moment leave it off until week five or six, they may have got rid of some of the dross by then. Once again I say poor Anton, they never load the scales in his favour.

Frank.

Obelixx

Haven't heard of some of them but I like the look of a few Frank and expect some fun and some good dancing as the weeks progress..  

I just hope they take advantage of their 3 weeks of one to one lessons with a professional to produce a decent 90 seconds when they come back.  Doesn't seem too much to ask.

Can do without all the hype and padding but can't miss a week in case there is the odd early gem.

nodlisab

Sick and tired of these Celebs who nobody has heard of ,what is their talent?

Obelixx

See reply on t'other thread.   Celebrity is a fairly loose term these days and most of it goes over my head as I don't watch much TV and no soaps or sports.

Yes, people who are not well known.....why don't they invite ordinary Joe /josephine Bloggs instead?  ........bigging up their own ego's 

greasy, shoe polished skins added to the mix.

ok!  never really seen it properly and many rave over it but apparently a nasty, bad tempered judge and another who likes to jump all over the table and wave his arms in every direction then assess the showponies 

what's wrong with a repeat of the news instead?  

Advertisement

Obelixx

If you haven't watched it properly you can't  have an informed opinion.

I suggest you record the news and watch it twice instead.

All the Strictly judges have a background in dance and performance so judge accordingly.  The 'nasty' one was actually very mellow and constructive in his comments last year and I have found in the past that those that get his scathing comments generally deserve them.

Nice one Obelixx    Hope nobody else is so offended     Thought my  would have given a clue as to context.   

(Bit of a clue......people who say they have never seen Eastenders but then mention all the characters and storylines?) 

Last edited: 04 September 2016 13:28:43

Doghouse Riley

As a programme it's very much manipulated.

The problem for the BBC is to find enough people who are immediately recognisable by the public, "who have naff-all to do between now and the New-Year." A fairly difficult task as it's the peak season for many such people in theatre and of course pantomime.

Unless you watch  a particular TV programme, (amongst hundreds) you could be forgiven for not knowing most of them.

Every year there's a good sprinkling of BBC employees selected, (why not it's their show). The BBC like them to do well, it really doesn't matter if they don't win, as in the next three months they'll be lots of opportunities for some "cross pollination," with contestants plugging the show on the ones in which they appear. The BBC will get good mileage out of it, as they will with Alex Jones' pregnancy, that's been bigged up already. It's all good for the ratings.

The dancers do what they're told. Joanne Clifton as a new dancer, had to change her hair colour as they "had too many blondes." Now Kristina, Aliona and Ola have left, she's been able to go back to her normal colour.

The judges amuse me, how they can come up with so many ad-lib comments containing elements of onomatopoeia  and alliteration is amazing.

No it isn't, as the comedian Jerry Lewis once said;  "You can't beat some carefully rehearsed spontaneity." Some of Len's and Bruno's have been used in DWTS.

But as a show I like it, I've watched every programme of every series. Though it's got decidedly better since the departure of the doddery and irascible octogenarian who thought the show was all about him. I hope he continues to enjoy his retirement and gives up any thought of returning for the Christmas show.He isn't a well man and it'd be like Marley's Ghost turning up a family Christmas celebration.

I like Tess and Claudia, they are nowhere near "as in your face" as was he.

These days I only record it  and skip through a lot of the trivia.

I enjoy best the pros routines and some of the individual performances.

This was the highlight of the individual ones last year. No wonder they went on to win.

This from week 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCWw6TaW4Q0

Of the group dances.

This.

Some of the female pros really put a lot of effort into it.

Look for Janette Manrara's high kick at 1.00 in. Well above her head. (extreme left).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QemZ7_15OpA

Karen & Kevin, good synchronisation  of the video background, not easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14X2P6NooPs

The most important point is not to take it too seriously. It's just the best Saturday night show on TV.

Last edited: 04 September 2016 14:28:29

Palaisglide says:
 My feelings are at the moment leave it off until week five or six, they may have got rid of some of the dross by then.
See original post

That's what I do every year.  Avoid the first few weeks until the totally hopeless have gone and then dip in and out.

Doghouse Riley
KT53 says:
Palaisglide says:
 My feelings are at the moment leave it off until week five or six, they may have got rid of some of the dross by then.
See original post

That's what I do every year.  Avoid the first few weeks until the totally hopeless have gone and then dip in and out.

See original post

Unfortunately some of the dross last a long time, sometimes due to some "tactical voting," or sheer bloody mindedness.

Like John Sargent, (game girl that Kristina) who had the grace to bow out by himself. Here from week 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv0e7esK8yM

Unlike Russell Grant, whose best step was a "star jump," but hung on til the death. But it was entertaining in a cringeworthy way.

Last edited: 04 September 2016 14:52:00

I also see the Tess Daley's dress designer hasn't improved.  This week's offering with the cutaway looked like a raw chicken leg sticking out.

Doghouse Riley
KT53 says:

I also see the Tess Daley's dress designer hasn't improved.  This week's offering with the cutaway looked like a raw chicken leg sticking out.

See original post

Yes, her dress sense has long been criticised on several Strictly message boards.

As they are reported to be supplied  to her by different dress designers to be worn on the show, you could be forgiven for thinking, "she'd wear anything if the price was right,"

Obelixx

Verdun - I never use smilies and they don't register with me.  The one you refer to looks more like Pinocchio growing his nose telling porkies than someone trying to be funny.   

Tess's dress choices do seem odd sometimes for someone with such a gorgeous figure.  Too much black too.   I rather like Claudia's jokey bits like the long jumper and am pleased to see her wearing fewer "tents" of late.  She too has a lovely figure and you don't have to show acres of bare flesh.  Discreet and elegant is far more sexy on both men and women IMHO.

Who put a rather rotund Ed Balls in horizontal stripes?   And wotsit Redknap in that pink thing?

What does this smilie suggest?    So what porkies then?  

Anyway   End of 

Obelixx

Like I said, Pinocchio to me.  Smilies are so imprecise and open to misinterpretation or, as in my case, just being over-looked and ignored.

Advertisement

Hmmm ..........your post was clear enough 

Hostafan1

I did ballroom dancing for year when I was ( much ) younger and thought I'd love the programme, but it seems we've imported the vile american habit of hooting and screaching throughout any performance . I gave up after about 10 minutes.

To be fair, I avoid any programme with the "celebrity" in the title so this only just managed to get through the filter.

Doghouse Riley
obelixx says:

Like I said, Pinocchio to me.  Smilies are so imprecise and open to misinterpretation or, as in my case, just being over-looked and ignored.

See original post

"Naming no names."

It's  a common ploy on message boards to sometimes include a "jokey" smiley after saying something rather unkind, sarcastic  or even offensive, in a usual successful  attempt to avoid moderation.

But for me that rarely mollifies the original  thought.

I've no time for smileys, to me  they seem to me rather juvenile, some post on some boards are covered with them like so much fly doodoo.

Anyway, where have you seen smilies anywhere else?

Are they supposed to be a substitute for literacy?

"Shakespeare never used 'em,"  or any other writer or columnist as far as I know.

Last edited: 04 September 2016 16:58:45

When I first started on the forum I was reprimanded for not using smilies..??   So I used smilies.  Maybe I won't  then in future.

Smilies are no substitute for anything..........in life a smile or a grimace or a hand gesture accompanies what we say.   I think that's what smilies are for here

Obelixx

But there's no tone of voice so I never use them.  English has a wealth of words to express our feelings and opinions or share news but even then can be misinterpreted on a forum with no sound.

Keep it simple I say.