Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sweet Pea Know How

As the previous thread on this subject is getting rather bulky & difficult to follow, I’m starting this new one as a replacement.

Mid to late October is the time when most sweet pea growers make their autumn sowings.

You’ll be needing the seed of your choice, seed compost (I prefer seed compost, rather than multi-purpose) as it contains less nutrients, deep pots such as root-trainers, grow-tubes etc.   

Also a cold-frame or other suitable protection. But remember sweet peas are extremely hardy and will cope with temps of -10c happily.

Btw, I've asked Daniel to close the previous thread.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Good idea David image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

The ones I sowed in June ( image ) are about to flower David. I'm bucking the trend...image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • daffy6daffy6 Posts: 26
    Just about to sow mine in pots in the cold frame.image
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Can you recommend a nice smelly variety, preferably on resistant to mildew?  I'll sow soonish and leave the pots in my suburban yard over the winter, where it's very unlikely to get too cold.

• Steve 309 wrote (see)

Can you recommend a nice smelly variety, preferably on resistant to mildew?  I'll sow soonish and leave the pots in my suburban yard over the winter, where it's very unlikely to get too cold.

The most highly scented varieties I know are 'Cupani' and 'Painted Lady'.

All sweet peas are susceptible to mildew......To my knowledge there are no resistant varieties, although it can be kept in check by good cultivation.

OK David - thanks.  I'll try one of those.  If you're going to have sweet peas....

Good cultivation presumably means rich soil with enough water and drainage?

• 'Good cultivation presumably means rich soil with enough water and drainage?'

Not really, I had in mind not spacing too close, to encourage free air circulation and spraying.

Ah - OK.  that figures.  I had mildew on plants this year that were probably too close.  What distance then, and how many in a large (20 litre?) pot?

I don't want to spray (or recommend my mother to spray) with anything nasty - is there an organic method?

• Never really got to grips with metric, Steve.....but about 6 inches between plants. I have no hang-ups about spraying with 'Systhane'.

Oh, and I've never used pots in their final quarters.

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845

I can't bring myself to remove this years as they are still going! 

Thanks for new thread Davidimage

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne