London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
81 to 92 of 92 messages
29/08/2012 at 17:16
figrat wrote (see)

http://www.eaglesweetpeas.co.uk/about_us.php

HI David, here's the Eagle Seeds stuff re sowing times. But I think it's maybe more appropriate for commercial growers? Tempted to try a few, just to see if I can get some blooming in my gh for April...

Ah, I didn't read that item, he does say late September and these are cordon grown and under cover until flowering.

Worth a try if you have the facilities, Figrat, although I would say be careful if you only have a small greenhouse...temperature fluctuations are amazing, even in the winter. Eagle's greenhouses & poly-tunnels are huge and don't suffer from these fluctuations.

I would add further that the plants referred to are grown for seed purposes. This seed is then send to New Zealand where (under contractual  arrangements) are grown on for seed production.....then it is imported back to the UK and this is in fact the seed you buy from them.

29/08/2012 at 17:20

think i might give it a go as have ordered 50 cupanis so can experiment with 5 or so. Have 1 heated 8x6gh and a cold little leanto gh, the latter is mostly used over winter for dahlias etc

04/09/2012 at 22:12

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u149/jatebe/Emoticons%20etc/bumpup.gif

05/09/2012 at 20:52
Bump for Sarah Novice
15/09/2012 at 19:29
Bump
25/09/2012 at 08:59
Hi David,
Getting itchy fingers here - I guess still too early to start sowing for next year?
25/09/2012 at 09:37
figrat wrote (see)
Hi David,
Getting itchy fingers here - I guess still too early to start sowing for next year?

Yes, just a little, figrat. Those 'itchy fingers' could be your worst enemy...it suggests lavishing care that sweet peas just don't need.

What we are looking for is a spell of weather when there is still enough warmth to germinate the seed (50F) then for cold weather to set in to stop them putting on growth. If we start too early, the seedlings will just put on too much growth & become weak and leggy.

If in doubt you could always germinate the seed indoors in November (say an unheated bedroom) then transfer them into a cold greenhouse or similar as soon as the poke through.

PS. I'll start the new thread for next year's sweet peas (as promised) shortly.

20/10/2012 at 17:50

Is this the right place or is there another sweet pea thread on the go now?

I sowed some sweetpeas a couple of weeks ago and stuck them into  the greenhouse.  They've started to sprout (an inch at most).  Should they go outside now or should  give them another week or two to grow a little bit more?

20/10/2012 at 17:59

Dunno if there is anymore SP threads, but I can say that they need to kept as cool as possible once they have germinated, otherwise they will get leggy.

20/10/2012 at 18:37

Ok, thanks, I'll stick them outside in the morning since it's dark now.  

20/10/2012 at 20:42
LisaJ wrote (see)

Ok, thanks, I'll stick them outside in the morning since it's dark now.  

Lisa, I do apologise, I had forgot about this thread. Most questions seem to be directed towards this thread now: http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/growing-sweet-peas/6143-3.html

Btw, I'm assuming you mean a coldframe or similar, when you say 'outdoors'.

20/10/2012 at 21:53

Thanks, I saw that one after I'd posted and am catching up.

email image
81 to 92 of 92 messages