London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
14 messages
09/07/2013 at 12:25

£12 for one Gerbera!!

/me falls over

09/07/2013 at 12:48

Unbelievable!  I managed to save money this year.  I dug up my geraniums at the end of the year & planted them in the floor of my cold greenhouse & covered them with fleece.  They survived the winter, I planted them out & they are now in full bloom, much earlier than putting out small plants & saved money.

KEF
09/07/2013 at 12:51

Emma I thought mine were expensive just under 8 quid each from GC, which is a pricey place.

09/07/2013 at 13:08

I mean, they must have been 3ft+ tall, but even so 

09/07/2013 at 13:14

3 ft tall gerberas?   were they giving away free samples of wine?

09/07/2013 at 13:21

lol it said gerbera on the label. The flowers were gerbera 

09/07/2013 at 13:28

I have been known  to remove all the wrong labels in tesco flower dept. Roses labelled as lilies, carnations labelled as roses. crysanths labelled as mixed flower bouquet. I don't think the lad putting them out had any idea what they were.

09/07/2013 at 13:32

lol fb 

oooops i meant 2ft+.....

.....I'll fetch me coat....

09/07/2013 at 15:50

i have just been to morrisons, in the car park they have a philadelphus with a wild rose growing through it both in full flower and a young man with a hedge trimmer cutting bits of them  so i went over an asked if i could have a branch to take cuttings, take as much as you like  so i did

09/07/2013 at 20:12

result, Little-ann. Love Morrison's plants. Do you have the plants in a seperate greenhouse building like we do here? The two Senetti plants I bought for £2.50 each from there are still in full flower after almost months - talk about value for money  

12/07/2013 at 20:23

sorry no reply emma im not getting notifications so missed your post, iam lucky to have an old stone outbuilding with a north facing window so ihave the propagator on the window ledge enough light but no direct sun so itseasier to controle heat

13/07/2013 at 08:44

Sorry Little-ann, I meant Morrisons have a large greenhouse in the car park, seperate to the store, where they sell all the plants.

13/07/2013 at 09:46

My Tesco often has a large batch of plants that are a very good price; yesterday it was very healthy looking hydrangeas & lavender.  What worries me is it takes business from all the year round nurseries and garden centres, which are perhaps only just making a living in these difficult times.  We are all driven by price, but at what cost to small businesses? National chains have put many small independents out of business, including florists, cloths shops, butchers, green grocers, fish shops to name but a few, we are all guilty but if on occasion we could use the small store or high street a bit more, we may be able to make a difference to the dominance of the big stores, who drive down the prices from the suppliers and dominate the market.  (Must get off my soap box)  

13/07/2013 at 09:52

Fidgetbones.  In my local Homebase store they have pots of curry plant in among the herbs!  Hope no one chops it up and adds to their casserole!

email image
14 messages