Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Thank you so much

Hello everyone I'm Lisa and I am new around here, I was made redundant a month ago and can't thank you all for helping me through some rubbish days.

I live in Nottinghamshire and we have an average sized garden and we are luck enough to live near a country park so lots of wildlife and I enjoy feeding and watching the many birds.

I am a novice gardener but watch GW and have done for many years but never had much of garden to tend to until we moved here 3 years ago.

I have learnt so much already from you all from recipes to planting techniques to what you want for christmas and its been great fun and brightened my days

Nice to meet you all and thank you again image

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

As a newbie myself, your post really echoes with me. Also yours and many other posts talk of how much we all enjoy reading what others write. It also strikes me that many of the posts make me think how nice the people who write them seem to be. I read somewhere that gardeners are nice people and that it has something to do with how closely we work with nature and how this gives us some sort of understanding.

I have a long history of depression and I am aware how much gardening has helped me to get better, partly through the exercise and fresh air but mainly I think from a healing effect of contact with the soil and the cycle of life and death and the seasons.

I hope this doesnt sound like some kind of new age "hippyism", as I can assure readers that I am far removed from that.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

You can join in all the posts you know.  New ideas etc are always welcome. Helps you to shake off the cobwebs image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Welcome, Lisa and Nigel, I love this site to, you can learn so much and let others know what you are doing, keep us in touch with your gardening acheivements, I am sure everyone would love to hear from you.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

Nice to meet you Lisa & Nigel - this site is very addictiveimage.  Hope you will join in all the chat.  You will notice some stranger than usual names at the moment as quite a few posters have adopted festive names for December.

Caz

• Hello Lisa and Nigel image  This is a good place to spend some time isn't it .... and I thoroughly agree Nigel - I think that working with the seasons is very good for our emotional and physical health.  It's been basic to our evolution for milliions of years and suddenly mankind becomes dependent on artificial light and ignores the repeating patterns of life, and then wonders why everyone is struggling and getting depressed etc  .... image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Welcome aboard, Lisa and Nigel, and do feel confident to ask what you may think are silly questions that everyone except you knows the answer to. One valuable technique in meetings is to 'ask the dumb question', thus prompting the resident expert to recap the important points of a subject - much to the relief of everyone else at the meeting who have forgotten the details or who didn't understand it first time round.

Enjoy the board!

Joe  

• There are some very kind people who visit this site....so enjoy image

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Asilvert, Nigelcoad, along with many of the gardeners on this board we learned the craft from older established gardeners who in my case had to feed extended families from their gardens small holdings. It was more the only way to do things was what gave results on the table at the right time of year.
    We have gone through many reforms, fads, fashions, and now as times get hard once more it is back to the land, this trend is also giving people the taste of fresh food straight from the soil to the pot and a good thing too.
    A lot of us have been on other boards that were not the gentle threads we have on here and I thank goodness most have long gone.
    We do make people welcome, answer the repeat questions because the person asking needs to know and probably does not have time to scan back through a myriad posts for the answer.
    Even old gardeners make mistakes and learn from them, I still read or re-read my own gardening books, there is always something new or that you missed, if you do find it is not working then think about it try another way or ask on here, someone has the answer.
    So welcome to a band of brothers and sisters who's lives are probably poles apart but have the one thing in common a love of gardening.

Frank.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I've been gardening for 40 years or more. Still asking questions. Still finding out things that are obvious once you know.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

There is a light-hearted general chit-chat thread about anything and everything running here

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/fork-handles/3533-677.html

-all are welcome to join in-gardening knowledge not needed-but sense of humour  essentialimage