London (change)
Today 9°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
41 to 60 of 157 messages
09/04/2013 at 18:11

I received an email from the Canny Gardener last Tuesday, 2nd April, telling me my plants (medium plugs) had been despatched, and to expect their arrival within 3 or 4 days. The following Monday they had still not arrived so I rang Canny Gardener, and was told that actually delivery often takes a week, and to ring tomorrow if they still didn't show.

Anyway, next day, that is today, 9th April, the postie turned up with a plastic bag which contained the remains of a polystyrene box, which in turn contained the remains of my plugs.

The box, which was fairly shattered, was held together with a couple of elastic bands, courtesy of the post office, and most of the plugs were, understandably, very much the worse for wear.

I have planted them up and we shall see how many actually make it.

Needless to say, I shall not be using them again, I will go back to the usual Jersey Plants or TM, at least they package the stuff securely.

Just so you know!

09/04/2013 at 19:02
Terry, complain. You must complain. You are entitled to plants "fit for purpose" and should not have to make do with what you have received.
Speak to the manager, politely, say you have mentioned this on the forum, you are very disappointed and ask how they will rectify the matter.
Probably you will be sent fresh batch.....Point out you will accept if delivery is immediate as you intended to pant up by now.
I have never failed to have plants replaced or refunded
Just be calm, resolute and expectant of the company's goodwill
Let us know terry
10/04/2013 at 11:28
Terry - you must complain- that is certainly not good enough
I have had 3 Canny Gardener catalogues sent to me over the past few weeks and I hate to admit it but I really am tempted to order some Streptocarpus plugs as I adore them. The offer this time is for 25o/ o off and half price delivery - plants are ??8.49 for 20 medium plants --around ??6.30 with discount and p& p will be ??2.45
Please tell me that I don't really need them -but I do,I do
Pam LLx
10/04/2013 at 11:29
Why do I get ?? Instead of the pound sign?
Pam LL x
10/04/2013 at 16:53

Thankyou Verdun and Lilylouise for your comments.

I have spoken to someone at Canny Gardener this afternoon, the response was that they were very apologetic about the damage, and would I contact them at some future date and let them know how many of the plants failed to survive, and they would then consider replacement or reimbursement!

The more I deal with them the less impressed I become. They do not seem to appreciate that they are not selling inanimate objects but living plants, with a very short window of opportunity to plant up for the summer.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

10/04/2013 at 17:06
Terry - that is just not good enough in my opinion!!!
If I was in your position I would phone again,ask to speak to the manager or person in charge and insist on a new batch or my money back now -not sometime in the future -what a bloomin' cheek
Tell them if they want the plants back they can come and collect them.
Any reputable company would tell you to keep the damaged plants and send a replacement now.
The plants sent to you are not fit for purpose - it is their fault they were not packed properly - not yours.
Pam LL x
10/04/2013 at 17:16

Write a letter to the managing director. Make the points that you have already made above and say that most companies would replace the plants without question in these circumstances. Say that you are a member of a gardening forum which is discussing this firm and you would love to tell them that your complaint was dealt with fairly. However, if it should be that you do not get satisfaction, you will be forced to take the matter to Trading Standards, since you feel that shoddy packaging is the cause of the problem and the firm is under a legal obligation to provide good which are fit for purpose. Substandard packaging is bound to lead to substandard goods in the case of live plants.

10/04/2013 at 17:20
Terry,, I have said my piece. Lilyloiuse is making total sense so take notice of what she says.
Most people do not like to complain but we all have to at times
I would expect you to get your money back and keep what you have.
The sooner you complain the easier and more effective it is
Keep us informed
10/04/2013 at 19:40

Anthony Milne commented on this thread when it started- prehaps he would like to make new comments now

17/04/2013 at 17:27

Latest update on the situation:-

Following an exchange of emails, I have now been promised a replacement for the damaged plants.

From the next available batch, week commencing 13/05.

Jeez, I hope they're fast growing!

Many thanks to everyone who commented re. my problem.

17/04/2013 at 17:30

That's good news Terry  What plants are they?

Pam LL x

p.s I didn't order the Streptocarpus

17/04/2013 at 17:55

Pam,

They're Petunia Summer Classic, I ordered 60 medium plugs to go into flower pouches which hang on a timber framework I built at the front of the house.

The unsightly council bins sit behind the frame, so you can't see them from the street! Flower pouches up the sides and across the top, and a Jasmine growing up some trellis in the middle.

It looks nice when the summer weather is kind, but didn't really reach its full potential last year, with all the rain and all.

Fingers crossed for this year!

17/04/2013 at 18:07
Terry, the replacements will soon catch up.
Well done for your persistence
17/04/2013 at 19:14
Terry Wilson wrote (see)

Pam,

They're Petunia Summer Classic, I ordered 60 medium plugs to go into flower pouches which hang on a timber framework I built at the front of the house.

The unsightly council bins sit behind the frame, so you can't see them from the street! Flower pouches up the sides and across the top, and a Jasmine growing up some trellis in the middle.

It looks nice when the summer weather is kind, but didn't really reach its full potential last year, with all the rain and all.

Fingers crossed for this year!

That sounds really lovely Terry  As Verdun says they will soon catch up - lets hope they send them well packed next time

Pam LL x

18/04/2013 at 13:20

I see the Canny Gardener is now offering a prize on this website - canny what??

18/04/2013 at 14:31

Saw this thread and read with interest..perhaps they should be renamed 'Canny be A***d'....

It's just a thought 

18/04/2013 at 14:59
Fairygirl......I have told you about your language before
Doesn't sound like any fairies I know
18/04/2013 at 15:15
Verdun wrote (see)
Fairygirl......I have told you about your language before
Doesn't sound like any fairies I know

Verd-you're just hanging about with the wrong ones that's all!

...but i've got me coat anyway..

18/04/2013 at 15:16
I only hang out with these damn pixies
18/04/2013 at 15:21

Ooh er missus...not sure I'd be advertising that fact...

41 to 60 of 157 messages