London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
15 messages
12/08/2013 at 09:01

Its a hot start to the day and ive 4 dogs to walk, but the barrows ready "loaded for when we get back and my day starts,

The tools all ready and ive the thought of what im going to do,

As we gently walk towards the long wide field "the baby cow's see us coming into view, their mothers are chewing grass "one eye on us all,

As we walk past the start of the old wire fence the little "new to life cow's" start to walk along with us but from their side of the fence,

they push and poke their heads for a better view of what to them is a strange pack of animals "four dogs and a thing with legs only two" all walking along and all keeping in view,

I wonder what's going on in their minds!

And as we come to the end of the old wire fence "these new little friends have to halt, they cant continue to follow us"  as we continue on our way "out of their view".

To them it makes no sense,

After 20 mins out of view a sight worth seeing comes back into view !!!!

A line of baby cow's all waiting for the return walk back along that old wire fence and again pushing each other as they try to get a better view of this strange two legged animal and the other animals all just walking along,

This is the country life true as it can be,

And tomorrow ? well this will be a repeat of the same walk for four dogs a herd of young cow's and me.

12/08/2013 at 10:24

Nice story, smokin! My hubby takes our two cats for a walk along the field at the back of our house every evening (without a leash, I might add). The route takes them past the horse paddock, where the horses come to look at them, sometimes the cats walk along the top of the fence. They then continue to the woods, where there is a picnic table. Hubby smokes a ciggie and the cats have a good old sniff around, then it's slowly back home. The whole walk is about 800 meters, cats are dog (cat!) tired afterwards!

Whereabouts in France are you?

12/08/2013 at 16:16

It reminds me of when I was out riding on Mendip there use to be a herd of ruby red cows that use to graze there.They were such good escape artist and would hanging around the gates to see who leave it open.They once or twice escaped into the wood and were on the run for a month.We would come across them standing in the middle of the path with their young, gently chewing the cud and refusing to get out the way.on the whole they would ignore you and did no chasing unlike some herds.Ithink they are now confined to a secure feild...but for how long?

12/08/2013 at 17:16

Hi, two nice replies there,

I dont want to upset anyone but as life has gone by and the modern way of people and their couldnt give a rats backside how they treat other humans,

I can honestly say i prefer animals to a lot of humans ive come across,

All our dogs are rescue dogs and all four have really had a bad time thanks to humans,

I amazed any of them have given me a chance to get close to them "but they have and im pleased about that and now they all can live what lives they have in peace with regular meals and lots of love.

Swiss sue! I live in dept 23 thats Limousin france,  Approx the middle of france.

Its not everyones idea of the perfect place to live as we dont have any night clubs in this area and few pubs, very little crime, and as ive said many times its deep in the countryside and about 30 years or so behind the modern times,

Its the norm to see the older ladies in cross over pinnies and wellies "No real fashion around these parts",

Peace perfect peace, so if you like this sort of life ? then here's the place to be.

Land for gardening is still cheap and plenty of run down country homes that do need doing up are to be found and views to die for.

Its so quiet of an evening i swear you could hear a mouse fart.

Nice replies from you and flowering rose "thanks"

12/08/2013 at 19:58

Hi Smokin, I know what you mean about the peace and simple living in France. For several years we had a little cottage near a tiny village in Allier, inbetween Vichy and La Palisse. Unfortunately we found we didn't have enough time to spend there and every time we went everything was overgrown. In the end we sold it to an English couple who were planning to retire there. An interesting fact was that most of the people we knew there disliked Parisiens and insisted that Paris is not France!

12/08/2013 at 21:41

Hi,

(We really must stop meeting this way)

Swiss sue, What you've said ref parisians is very true to this area,

We bought this place 9 years ago now, (like you we have a little holiday cottage)

anyway we found back in the uk we we're living to work, i was putting in 8 days aweek and at least 14 hours per day,

Work became my life, and hence one day my other half said i was heading for an early grave and she was right and so we decided to call it a day and take the chance and retire early,

We sold up in the uk and as it was the housing boom time the house sold very quick and we got a lot more than we thought, and so we had a few bob over to invest,

But the banks & building socciety etc didnt want to give a good interest deal for people investing infact it was a joke what was being offered,

So we decided to invest in this house we live in now, it had been empty for 25 years due to the daft french laws ref children / selling and the french tax system,

Some of the 9 kids wanted to sell and some didn't hence the property just sat here for years & years until they all decided to sell it,

Now we have 6 families in this complete hamlet and only 2 near us and so when we first arrive it was like John wynne walking down the track,"All the locals would stop what they we're doing and just look !!!!

We decided to knock on every door and say hello, we're english and just wanted to say hello.

It worked just fine, they're all really nice people "But coming back to the "Parisians" bit our nearest neighbour said one day (she lives alone) It's really nice to see the old house lights on of an evening I feel so safe,

The other neighbour said, she and her husband we're so pleased we we're not Parisians as they're not really french people,

I asked why and they said "All the rules come from Paris but they know nothing about the french countryside and how the french country people really live.

Ive found this same idea's ref parisians many times so i do understand what your saying.

We've seen many of ex-pats return to the uk and to be honest i could see with some why they didnt make a good go of it here, the lack of any planning is one of the mistakes made.

We have english people who have a holiday cottage just around the corner from our gite and every year they come over for 2 weeks in the summer (one week spent sorting out the garden) And again 2 weeks at christmas time,

When they first arrive you can feel the stress but after a few days they settle down & slow down.

The french around these parts are never in a hurry and dont run when they can walk

and everyone stops "no matter" just to say hello.

Our time is now spent in the garden most days all day, and in the winter im in the workshop just pottering.

Nice to share these french thoughts with you.

13/08/2013 at 09:38

It sounds like you've found the perfect place, Smokin. It helps to speak a bit of French, too. Talking with the neighbours certainly improved our school French, and with hands and feet and a few mutual aperitifs with lots of Ricard we got on quite well. It was our original plan to retire there too, but as I said, things got a bit too much and retirement was still a long way away. In the meantime we've bought an old house in the country here in Switzerland with a lovely garden which keeps me occupied and hubby enjoys mucking around in his cellar workshop.

I do enjoy your stories of your life in France, keep them coming!

13/08/2013 at 10:08

Smokin Donkey, your story starts a bit like mine. My husband worked really long hours in London. We lived in the country, long commute as well. He had always wanted to move to France one day, but he started getting chest pains so we sold up and came to north Dordogne in1985. The children were still small. He bought a business here, but there was far less hassle and we lived on less. Chest pains went and he was happy. But in 98 he died of a heart attack. But I think living here made him happy and kept him alive longer.

My old farmhouse has no near neighbours and was empty for 6 years. Surrounded by woodland and fields with wild flowers. I made a garden and it's full of birds and wildlife.

13/08/2013 at 12:35

Lizzie, what is your nearest village, would like to google earth it, if you don't mind!

13/08/2013 at 14:17

Hi Lizzie,

Im sure you & your husband did the right thing by retiring when you did,

We men are very good at thinking we lead the way & being in charge of cooking when we have BBQ's

But when it comes to having any common and going to the doctors of our own free will !!!!!! Well lets just say we need the push that can only be given & excepted bu someone who really loves you.

You did a great job Lizzie in getting him to enjoy his time in france.

Well done.

13/08/2013 at 15:27

Sue, I've sent you a private message.

13/08/2013 at 16:51

I love your 'cow story' - thanks for sharing

13/08/2013 at 17:10

Hi Liz, haven't received anything yet!

13/08/2013 at 21:36

Sue have you clicked on your photo and found "my messages"? I've sent it again going through your site instead of mine.

13/08/2013 at 21:37

Sorry Smokin Donkey, we are using your post as a contact medium. Hope you don't mind.

email image
15 messages