Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

......the good guys

Following a suggestion on the forum, here is a thread giving praise to those good online suppliers of plants, etc.

Dove Cottage for good perennials well packed, economically priced and providing a wide range of both new and old varieties.  I have yet to be disappointed with this supplier. Woottens is first class in every way and is my first choice for online purchasesimage

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Crocus, expensive but top class plants well packaged and quick delivery. Hardys Cottage garden plants, as above.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Thoroughly agree re Woottens - fantastic http://www.woottensplants.com/index.html

Also Reads nursery http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/ -  suppliers of superb fruit trees and soft fruit bushes etc - and sooooooooooooo helpful image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Agree with Crocus and Hardy's.  Have also been very pleased with Burncoose, Sarah Raven and Seagate Irises.image  Ashridge trees were excellent too

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Thank Verdun for starting this. The more we use the best suppliers the more the bad will be forced to change.

Advertising with expensive glossy brochures is good marketing, however recommendations by word of mouth is the best form of advertising any company can get.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I have just had a fantasic package for J Parkers. A pack of 3 assorted astrantia, there was 12 bare roots in the bags, so not bad for 4.49. There were 9 bare root phlox, so big they went into 7 inch pots. 2 bare root euonymus red cascade, 1.99 each, both shooting. Some other things, all very good, cant remember now, 6 asters, already in pots and more, all super value.

I only buy when their plants are in the sale, my acer, planted last spring, already 4ft tall and only 1.99 was good value.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Another vote for Woottens - good large plants supplied with lots of cultural information.  I've decided I'm only going to buy live plants from suppliers who have delivery tracking from now on.  Some of the better known mail order suppliers have let me down badly this year despite ordering well in advance and those companies provide no tracking information.  I've received several emails after making enquiries that 'they have just been despatched' etc which turned out to be.. well.. lies.  They have blown it as far as I'm concerned - I spend several hundred pounds every year on plants and they will be getting none of it!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Just remembered "plantsmans preference" in Norfolk were very good too.

sounds like a good haul Lyn - i love phloximage

• Fab thread..... Crocus for me and if you can watch out for their open days. Save on postage and lots of special offers. Seagate iris so far seen v good....