Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

The plastic that can't be recycled

One thing that gets to me, is the amount of plastic that the councils say cannot get recycled. I do my best to save as many plastic food trays, I can turn some into mini props and even containers for odds and ends. But there is only so much you can hauled. What about those thick bubble wrapped items, you know the type, the ones you can cut an artery on when trying to open it.

How do others dispose of the so called 'unrecyclable plastic' 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I buy as little as I can that's packed in non-recyclables, It's all those yoghurt/dip/ etc cartons that annoy me. Maybe recycled in some ares but not here. I don't buy or eat that stuff but see shelves and shelves of it at the SM. I've got those down to just margerine containers which are quite useful for seed collection and arcane activities in the workkshop

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Our council doesn't collect plastic at all so we have to save up all of ours to take to the local recycling centre every few weeks or to the local supermarket if their recycling bins aren't overflowing throughout the car park (they usually are).

We try not to buy goods in packets that you can't recycle but online shopping makes this near impossible. I did wonder whether you could cut the plastic up to make plant markers as I'd read on a blog about one chap doing this with butter tubs. Pots tend to get reused for paint brushes and storing bits of "will come in useful one day".

I'm afraid everything else ends up in the dustbin.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I now get the large tubs of Greek yoghurt from Lidl as they are so useful for mixing paint, carrying small bulbs/plants round the garden, carrying bird seed to feeders etc. I really, really try to always have a cotton bag when I go shopping, but don't always succeedimage I prefer to buy veg from the local farm shops as they use paper bags which can be re-used/composted. I am so glad that eggs are now sold in papier mache boxes, not plastic, so they too can be composted.