London (change)
Today 20°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
3 messages
13/08/2013 at 17:26

I'm having the same discussion with a friend.  She won't prune.  Wants early fruit, etc. and doesnt understand the need to build up a framework strong enough to handle fruit in the future.  Frustrating.  She sees a little,apple on tiny twig and thinks its a sign of big harvest to come.  

13/08/2013 at 19:16
Verdun wrote (see)

I'm having the same discussion with a friend.  She won't prune.  Wants early fruit, etc. and doesnt understand the need to build up a framework strong enough to handle fruit in the future.  Frustrating.  She sees a little,apple on tiny twig and thinks its a sign of big harvest to come.  

i have neighbours like that.. never prune their apple trees and this year asked me why ours had lots of fruit and theirs didnt.. i just smiled and said.. pruning and more bees this year..

13/08/2013 at 22:15

Thinning is a learning curve all gardeners have to go through SD   no doubt pruning fruit tree's is too.

I found it alot easier to cull plants in the GH, this year, you have to choose the best and send the rest to the garden in the sky in order to make enough room for the chosen few.   

Same with veg. I grow in modules then plant out, and this year, was determined to thin to one plant per module no matter how many seeds germinated. 

I found in the first few years of growing your own, at the start of the year you conveniently forget how much room each veg needs, I'm still learning, thinning is more ruthless and veg spacings are getting bigger so the crops are getting better   

email image
3 messages