London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
5 messages
13/08/2013 at 14:36

Ive met many people over the years, some would give you their last penny and think nothing of it,

Other's are so tight fisted Im sure you hear them as the walk past "squeak squeak"

But if your going to make any sense out of gardening its no good not being willing to thin out sowings or start thinking its a crime to pull out the odd lettuce plant to make way for the rest,

Same thing ref fruit on the trees, Yes you can have to much growing and all that happens is if its the likes of apples they grow to a size & weight that damage can be done to the branch and then its broken and all the fruit on it wont mature to anything "so you've lost the lot or again to much fruit and non of it a good size.

Ive  seen so many people coming into gardening that are scared to thin out or thin the apple crop etc.

We're coming up to that time of the year when apple/pear etc will be ready for the chutney pot, but if you've not given thought to what ive said then you may fall fowl to the small fruit being your crop.

13/08/2013 at 17:26

I'm having the same discussion with a friend.  She won't prune.  Wants early fruit, etc. and doesnt understand the need to build up a framework strong enough to handle fruit in the future.  Frustrating.  She sees a little,apple on tiny twig and thinks its a sign of big harvest to come.  

13/08/2013 at 19:05

Hi Verdun, Yes i know what you mean,

The visitor i had has been telling me for years that he cant see the reason why i grow my own,

Ive tried talking about eating good food / Fresh food / No chemicle in it food and yet all i get is the big boys who run the super markets wouldnt sell anything thats not safe to eat etc,

Now the same person (because his wife wants veg etc like i grow and give her)

He's started small but will not listern when it comes to thining out etc

So like you i just think "ok so be it".

13/08/2013 at 19:16
Verdun wrote (see)

I'm having the same discussion with a friend.  She won't prune.  Wants early fruit, etc. and doesnt understand the need to build up a framework strong enough to handle fruit in the future.  Frustrating.  She sees a little,apple on tiny twig and thinks its a sign of big harvest to come.  

i have neighbours like that.. never prune their apple trees and this year asked me why ours had lots of fruit and theirs didnt.. i just smiled and said.. pruning and more bees this year..

13/08/2013 at 22:15

Thinning is a learning curve all gardeners have to go through SD   no doubt pruning fruit tree's is too.

I found it alot easier to cull plants in the GH, this year, you have to choose the best and send the rest to the garden in the sky in order to make enough room for the chosen few.   

Same with veg. I grow in modules then plant out, and this year, was determined to thin to one plant per module no matter how many seeds germinated. 

I found in the first few years of growing your own, at the start of the year you conveniently forget how much room each veg needs, I'm still learning, thinning is more ruthless and veg spacings are getting bigger so the crops are getting better   

email image
5 messages