Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

The Supernatural

In response to something Verdun mentioned in the 'troubles' thread, I thought this might make an interesting subject for discussion.

On a personal level I have to say I've never experienced anything that I would class 'supernatural'. That said, I know people who have or at least allege to have had. One friend described going to a rambler's dinner/meeting in a country hall in the north of the county. He claims he knew his way to the conveniences without ever having been to that location before,in fact knew the whole layout of the house but insisted he had never been there in his life.

A different occasion was when he was in the army. They were resting up in the barracks and a few of his friends were messing around with an ouija board. Without warning, the windows began opening and slamming of their own accord. Yet the day was hot and still. Selective memory? Or a genuine supernatural incident? I'll add he is level-headed and a rational sort of bloke, or at least as far as I can tell.

I may have mentioned on another thread that I'm fond of ghost stories,so look forward to reading any input you guys might have whether negative or otherwise image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

dangerous territory methinks. Some folk believe in Gods , Prophets, Angels and all sorts of other things. I'm not throwing my hat into the ring on this one.

Devon.
  • archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

we have one . and  i see her shadow often . and both me and OH  have seen her . at the same time .image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Indeed they were pansyface image 'A Warning to the Curious'.

No doubt Daniel will pull the thread if he sees fit. Though I'm not asking theological questions or attempting to undermine anyone's faith, only that if anyone has experienced the 'unexplained' and whether they would like to share it.

That's a classic pansyface, I have his collected works and in my opinion he is unrivalled in his genre.

• xx Posts: 100

Yeah, if all I gonna be when I die is a "shadow" or a "rattling window" its a life well spent....wat a load of rubbish!!image

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845

There are more things in heaven than earth.............

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Fishy I  have a story to tell, will do tomoz when I have more time image

• I love a good ghost story.image

I've only experienced a few things myself though, although I would describe them as sounds replaying rather than actual ghosts.

Working nights for the UN in a hotel in Cyprus we often used to hear a great commotion of frantic running on the floor above us but all would go quiet before the noise reached the stairs or any doors. It was impossible to recreate the noise too as that corridor was carpeted.

I also went on a ghost hunt in the old Derby Royal Infirmary and heard a squeaky shoe on the floor next to me and a round-the-bed curtain being pulled when there were only the rails remaining. I didn't say anything though as some of the people there were nuts.image

Wearside, England.
  • Love a ghost story Fishy, its just a bit of fun.

But this is true.

Many years ago, a group of friends went to a party in an old house.  Towards the end of the evening some people went in another room and played with a ouija board.

A few others including myself stayed in the lounge. I was sitting in a chair by the fire,  when suddenly the flames shot up quite high to a blazing fire.

It hadn't been alight before or anytime during that evening.

Sounds intriguing KEF image

Its interesting to note about belief in the paranormal. Usually people are either firm believers or died-in-the-wool sceptics. I've enjoyed many episodes of Most Haunted with Yvette Fielding. There was a guy called Keiran if I remember correctly who was the scientist of the programme. He would offer rationality in the face of all the hysteria, which leads to the subject of the power of suggestion.

Do some people who experience paranormal events become triggered by their own heightened senses? Many of us know from reading a scary book how easily we can be fooled by our own perception of what is really there and what has been conjured by a stimulated imagination.

But then again, does science in its present status quo give us all the answers? Is it naive to think we have discovered everything there is to find? Sightings of ghosts go way back in human history,surely they can't all be products of our imaginations.