London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 37 messages
27/02/2014 at 11:06

do any of you know if the vernon geranium company are part of a group, i have just recieved a catalogue in the post

27/02/2014 at 11:14

I purchased some plants from Vernon Geraniums but that was some 12 years ago.  I understood they were an individual company at that time.

Edd
27/02/2014 at 11:59
27/02/2014 at 12:17

thanks Edd very helpfull

27/02/2014 at 12:40

Yes same company as T&M, had problems with them last year, plants arrived detached from their plugs, unbelievably they were just cuttings with no roots pushed into a plug.

27/02/2014 at 13:29

Well I have ordered a few,pelargoniums,from vernon nursery.  I ordered from them last year and am,surprised they are linked to T & M. ,would not have ordered had I known

Edd
27/02/2014 at 14:04

How did they work out Verdun? any problems? Things might have changed.

27/02/2014 at 14:07

Hiya Edd

Hmm! Well they were small....very small....but they grew on well enough. 2 plants arrived in poor state and replaced.

Looking back, it must have been 2 years ago now when I last ordered.  

27/02/2014 at 18:22

i wontt be using them if they have any conection to T&M

27/02/2014 at 18:31

Vernon geranium catalogue on the mat when I got in this evening, My first thought was that it was T&M

Vernon geraniums used to have a good reputation, but as with Van meeuwen which is T&M under another name, I won't be using them.

27/02/2014 at 18:47

Verdun and Little Ann............I was somewhat surprised to see the negative response to T&M and wondered whether I was missing something ?

I have purchased seeds from T&M for donkey's years but had a break for 10 years when I was in Europe.  Since I came back to UK 2 years ago, I have had seeds which had  no worse germination results from other seed companies.   

For the first time last year, I bought some annual basket plants from T&M - they arrived in good condition and performed as well as I had expected.

I confess I'd rather mooch around small nurseries for the important stuff .......more interesting anyway than online..........but I would be interested to know what you can tell me about T&M which makes them a bad deal.  

Thanks

27/02/2014 at 18:55

I bought a plum and a greengage tree from T&M, with the assurance they would be covered in blossom and fruit after the first year of planting, so far after three years there has been approximately a dozen blossoms on each and no fruit.  I contacted the company and never had a reply.

I wondered how Vernon Geranium knew my details, this thread explains it.  Can anyone recommend a mail order company?

27/02/2014 at 19:10

last year i ordered begonia plug plants, sweet potato slips and an orange buddlia 

when i ordered i was given delivery dates nothing arrived when it should the begonias were very early and despite potting on and keeping them in the the warm greenhouse  none did very well, when the buddlias did arrive and eventually fowered they were bog standard purple. i did complain but wasnt very happy with the response i got so i wont use them again

27/02/2014 at 21:03

I found out via a wrong telephone number I was given!when dialing it T &M answered then asked how I had got the number. I was obviously the same switchboard the telephonist was coy about the relationship with Vernon but eventually admitted they had been bought out by T & M.

i would not use them again because of recent poor service and product.

mike w

Edd
27/02/2014 at 22:08

Wow i did not think this would get this explosive as i have never used Vernons. There is another thread about good and bad suppliers and i was wondering if this thread could be transferred over to that one.

The daft think is i can't remember the name of the other thread, so it defeats the purpose. Then again it is only me that can't remember and many others will.

27/02/2014 at 22:39

I thought T&M were a reputable company, bearing in mind that Gardeners' World Mag supports them.  Am I being naive?

28/02/2014 at 00:41

I think T&M were a reputable company but recently quality control seems to have gone out of the window.

I was told that they use third party suppliers for their plants & pay them very little for growing them.

28/02/2014 at 08:27

Thank you for the updated information, I sincerely hope my order arrives intact.  Sad that an old established company has gone to T & M.

Likewise Alan Romans Scottish potato company, which was **** Brilliant *****at reasonable prices, dear old Alan is now with T & M.

Smaller companies cannot compete with the mega size companies.

28/02/2014 at 10:34

Yes, Vernon does belong to T&M. I have been buying speciality Geraniums from them for years and received a pile of very sad plants last year. Their customer service was excellent till then, and on investergating found to my horror that they were part of T&M. (I have had problems with T&M) big time.)

Sadly, the small speciality nurseries are finding it very hard to survive. I use my local small nurseries and smallholdings and they all say that it is tough and they are running at a loss.

Large companies have their fingers in alot of pies and can get away with non existant coustomer service by cheaper pricing and using their profits to propup weaker ones. At the end of the day, we the customers decide who gets our hard earned cash, and unfortunately, lower pricing wins........look at TESCO. 

KEF
28/02/2014 at 10:51

Edd the thread is called the good guys, bumped it up for you.

1 to 20 of 37 messages