London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
41 to 54 of 54 messages
20/03/2013 at 22:20

Hollie hock - I second that.. we have enough miserable days...lets get on with the gardening...a chat and a  

20/03/2013 at 22:51
Ooo.....someone mention battenburg? Don't forget me............
21/03/2013 at 05:44

21/03/2013 at 10:22

Sorry forumites-

But this is getting ridiculous now-do we really need 3 threads saying good morning-so many on weather-any new poster coming on here is going to be baffled and confused-this is supposed to be a gardening forum-and it is rapidly moving way from that

The compromise that Obellix suggested has been ignored

The comment that Lyn made no-one seems to have noticed

Can we please get a grip-this is after all primarily a gardening forum

I expect -people will say- oh him again-but it is just how I feel this morning.

21/03/2013 at 11:53

It honestly doesn't matter how many threads there are, they will start and finish as people lose interest thats just the way forums work. It's also not necessary to read every thread from beginning to end.

The best threads for information are going to be short and sweet. Others will be more social in nature. Gardening tends to be a solitary past time. You work on your piece of land creating the environment you want. we all have our own vision. This forum brings together many people with a common interest and diverse other interests and specialties. Think of it as your local pub, you wouldn't expect or want everybody in the bar being involved in every conversation.

This forum is bigger than your local pub with probably 100's if not 1000's of members and it is growing with members from all over the world contributing and learning. It is impossible to participate in a conversation with a 1000 contributors. Imagine a time where 1,000 people a day posted to the fork handles thread. Could anyone read all of them? So it's natural for other threads to bud and grow independently.

When brumbull started his GoodMorning Forkers thread it was in the early hours of the morning like brumbull i am also an early riser these days and living alone it was nice to chat and say hello and there are a few of us up and about early in the morning. I don't know about you but I haven't spoken  a word face to face to anybody since yesterday morning, I don't mind but I have chatted with many friends all over the world.

The thread started off well and harmlessly enough until there was an outcry from sotongeoff bbbb but you can't use that term forkers that belongs to our thread fork handles, (originating from the late great Ronnie Barker, I doubt he would have a problem with that).  Then there was talk of danger of cliques being formed, well that only happens when grumpy old men sit together. like the local bowling club or the golf club. 

I get the feeling that Sotongeoff likes a bit of order in his life and comfort from his daily routine and finds it disturbing when that balance is upset.

Well maybe we should act like the adults we are and not small children. Nobody was elected supreme leader or gets to dictate what any of us choose to post and where we choose to post it. We can however choose to ignore particular posters if they irritate us too much. 

I'm sorry to have to be so harsh but just like in nature seeds are planted and they grow and multiply. There are going to be many threads which not everybody will be personally involved with. If you choose you can select New Discussions rather than Latest posts or bookmark threads so you can come back to the ones that interest you (Ctrl D) but please stop with the trying to control and limit what members can and can not post. That is deeply unpleasant.

The Forum will probably get more Garden related posts once the weather starts becoming more conducive to gardening (still raining and blowing a gail outside).   Untill then lets all try to play nicely together and not sulk for too long, and stop playing silly forkers and forge friendships through our common interests. 

I hope everyone feels they are a valued contributor to this forum and will be for many years to come.

21/03/2013 at 12:08

Perhaps before lecturing -go back to what I wrote in the opening post on this discussion-I will quote it again

sotongeoff wrote (see)

Good morning one and all

24 hours ago this was a friendly happy place-but then a lot of bickering and some unnecessary comments were posted to upset the equilibrium.

As someone who posts frequently -perhaps too frequently-can I just send a message to old and new alike- there do not need to be gangs or cliques -if you start or contribute to a thread you do not own it-you don't set the rules- and all are free to post-it is not a competition

The forkers term was created elsewhere-I-now after a bit of contemplation accept that is a compliment that others want to use it to address each other-unless someone has another idea?

So come on-lets all put this behind us-we are a community of gardeners not a load of people looking for a fight

Lets us get back to happy times-families always fall out-but they usually make up again

Sermon ends

Geoff

My point was this morning is it is now getting ridiculious

Now perhaps this can be put to bed-without personal attacks

21/03/2013 at 12:13

It seems to me 'Sotongeoff' has reigned supreme here (I certainly always remember to doff me cap) since the closure of the BBC gardening message boards about a year since....then comes a new kid on the block in the guise of 'Brumbull' who would seem to threaten the hierarchy.....he's certainly prolific!

None of my business of course, but it never ceases to amaze me how people can find so much spare time to spend online.

21/03/2013 at 12:40

Sotongeoff said

"As someone who posts frequently -perhaps too frequently-can I just send a message to old and new alike- there do not need to be gangs or cliques -if you start or contribute to a thread you do not own it-you don't set the rules- and all are free to post-it is not a competition"

but then he said

"But this is getting ridiculous now-do we really need 3 threads saying good morning-so many on weather-any new poster coming on here is going to be baffled and confused-this is supposed to be a gardening forum-and it is rapidly moving way from that"

Sorry but can you not see that you are arguing with yourself? The two positions you have stated are clearly contradicting each other. I completely agree with you on the first and disagree with the second. It is not "ridiculious", just part of the consequences of your first point.  "if you start or contribute to a thread you do not own it-you don't set the rules- and all are free to post-it".

Lets just shake hands and forget about this spat. I've said enough and this is my last post on this subject.

21/03/2013 at 12:51

Roll on sunny days.  Everyone on here seems to be suffering from Cabin Fever, remember the days of Infant and Junior school where there were regular scuffles, tellings off and frustration when we weren't allowed out because rain was coming down like stair rods?

Think everyone needs to take a deep breath, count to 10, make a cup of tea, swear at the weather, have some cake, think about treading on folks' toes, and THEN post.

I enjoy reading all posts except those clearly written by trolls, everyone has something to offer on this site,and I despair when two posters that I respect (Sotongeoff because he knows his onions....and cauliflowers......and potatoes etc etc, and BrumBull because he's funny and nearly as obsessed with the weather as I am), start to have a falling out.

Behave you two, otherwise you won't be allowed to play in the sandpit anymore

21/03/2013 at 12:58
This is silly. We recently had someone on these boards who was deliberately trying to cause upset and division, his efforts didn't manage to bring around so many threads.

I have no problem with people using certain words or wanting to say good morning to each other. When their intentions are good, and just wanting to be nice to other posters, there isn't an issue. Regardless of how untidy it might look.

Let's put it to bed, not be so self conscious and not worry about people being perfectly polite to other users. Life's too short.
21/03/2013 at 13:28

"Oh dear" what a hooha, In my old persona I would ask for thirty push ups from you all then forget it.
Easter on its way, we will get back to gardening sometime, a good spade fork and Dutch hoe can get rid of a lot of frustration, a sit in the sun soaking up the vitamin C listening to the birds sing and the bees hum is what we all need, meanwhile I am making a cuppa the panacea for all ills.

Frank.

21/03/2013 at 13:39

Can I make a suggestion ? Let mine be the last post on this particular thread and let's all get back to normal.  

We have a new growing season to look forward to so just let this thread fizzle out .

21/03/2013 at 14:21

Amen!

21/03/2013 at 16:14

Yeah " Roll on sunny days"

email image
41 to 54 of 54 messages