London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
7 messages
16/08/2013 at 20:51

Many years ago i had an allotment, waited 3 years and then a phone call from the town hall to ask if i was still interested, Yes Yes Yes, was my reply,

Well we've got a plot vacant "but" its a bit wild,

That was the start of years of laughs, pleasure and learning,

We didn't have any ladies on the site when i first got my plot, but a few couples did have an interest, (the older ladies would knit and the husband do the gardening,

Then as members started to die or get ill and couldnt continue so the plots came vacant and thanks to the good life tv series we had our first ladies arrive,

One single mum got a plot next to mine as Albert "the plot holder" was found dead on the allotment loo,

Everyone was shocked when they found him as he was 24 stone and the loo was only a thunder box (very very small wardrobe size box) hence it was known as the thunder box (you can work out for yourself the "Thunder bit in the title",

All allotments have the site comic and it was said Albert died trying to make his own manure,

But after a few months the new member arrived with her little girl, the mum was Pam and her daughter was called "emma" she was a down sydrom child and a hand full to say the least,

Some of the older members we're not very keen on women on the site never mind children and they didn't try very hard to say hello to our new member.

As the weeks passed by "Pam" came every weekend (with emma) to the allotment and she started to get to grips with sorting out the jungle she'd taken on,

Emma would talk to worms and anyone who would talk to her,

One day i thought i'd show her how to sow flower seeds, and so for what seemed like a hour but was only 10 mins i explained and showed her how to sow seeds,

I said you must check them every time your here and water them,

"Why am i to check them"

Just to see if they are growing,

Why do i water them!!!!

Because all flowers like a drink.

Every time the two of them would arrive "emma" would go to her seed plot and dig them up to see if they'd grown any.

That little girl brought life to the allotment and after 12 months she was a very popular little girl, Her mum was excepted by most of the old boys and she was a pleasure to have as a friend,

Gardening isn't just about growing veg etc but friendships also sometimes need time to grow.

16/08/2013 at 21:27

Again, smokin, nice one.  Always enjoy your posts

17/08/2013 at 07:03

Lovely story, smokin, what a nice man you are!

17/08/2013 at 13:55
hi i have to be careful here but some time ago i was talking to a council officer about allotments as this particular village /town has none and ,Quote " between you and me he said most local bye laws still in use Force us should a group of 12 people or more ask for allotments , to do purchasers compulsory if needed to supply them"),,now im not a solicitor and only quoting a council officer talking to me this year , he did say that a few years ago a feeler was put out and they received many letters asking for them " not to be too near them," i think people still think off allotments as sort of rubbish tip type of things ,quite unlike the ones iv seen and got, they tend now to really good looking gardens with lots of wild life in mind and full of really laid back nice people enjoying themselves just like Smoking remembers, i think if children were taught more about gardening for the future, then there wouldn't be the gap where as they grow up they lose touch with the plants and flowers until later in life when it all comes into its own again ,
its a sad story Smoking and you ought to have been offered another one not too far away .Good luck Alan4711
17/08/2013 at 21:55

Well as the law stands today its if 15 people request allotments the local council has to find land for the use of.

If anyones in any cross thoughts on this law ask your local MP he/she will confirm what ive just said.

18/08/2013 at 13:46
hi all iv recently acquired this,
??? Do Councils have a statutory duty to provide allotments?
Yes. If the council believes that there is a demand for allotments; they have a statutory duty to provide a sufficient number of plots. Section 23 of the Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908. planning policy guidance from the government 2007, very interesting for areas who don't have allotments. BUT
it doesn't give a set time for supplying once they agree the needs is there
love to see it tried
Alan4711
18/08/2013 at 17:17

Thanks allan for your input,

As ive said if anyone is having councils problems ref getting an allotment go to you local MP (thats why they're there) or C.A.B. and they'll find out all the rules for your area,

You only pass this way once in life so enjoy as much of it as you can after all enough is done for those who dont put much if anything into the purse ref paying tax etc so make sure you get back so of what you've put in.

When your doing a hobby such as gardening your stress factor reduces and you'll be amazed what sort of people you get to know doing the same as you,

Allotments are full of people from all walks of life.

Good luck to those who try.

email image
7 messages