Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

tomato seedling plants

Has anyone had tomato seedling plants which have grown from disgarded tomatoes thrown into the general garden compost bin.  I mixed some garden compost with garden soil before I planted my sweetpea seeds then later found tomato seedlings growing too.  I transplanted these into pots and put them into my greenhouse, and I now have tomatoes growing from the plants.

• Yes, resilient little devils, these tomato seeds.

When I was a youngster, a ready source of tomato plants was from our local sewerage works.(I'm sure I don't have to use the graphics to explain their journey) image Not surprising most of them were of the Italian plum variety. image

• Thanks for replying!  I only started a compost bin last year, and was surprised at the results!  When I think of what I paid for my 'garden centre tomato plants' too! Anyway I am keeping an eye on these 'little devils' and looking forward to tasting the end results.

• Good luck with them, Welsh Daffodil (loving the name)   image 

There's a lot of guff talked & written about growing tomatoes....and all it comes down to is the prevailing weather and not sowing the seed too early.