London (change)
Today 13°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
8 messages
19/08/2013 at 19:59

Hi,

I was talking to a couple today who have just come to live here in france and they we're telling me that their garden is full of junk left behind by the former owners,

It got me thinking about the kinds of stuff i dug up when i first started to clear our garden,

I found loads of bottles, car battery's, rusty tins and then the" treasure box"

Yes an old chest locked and inside it was !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll leave you to wonder about "What the  real treasure inside was.

Tell you tomorrow.

19/08/2013 at 20:23

That reminds me Smokin, When I bought my bungalow 4 years ago, It had never had a penny spent on it. Still had a 1950's kitchen and bathroom. When I had the bathroom done, they lifted the floor boards and there is a 2ft gap to ground and about 1ft worth of a fine dusty soil. The plumber's started pulling up all these mini glass & pot type bottles about 2inch in size. About 30 of them. I was thinking the house builders must of left them when building in the 50s. The day before the new floor was going down, I lifted the floor board back up myself and put them back in the dusty soil.   

19/08/2013 at 21:20

I remember many years ago when I lived in the country ,(we had a massive garden) we had lots of air raid shelters and one big corragatted one that had a office and garage.This one was pulled down and my brother found after a little digging ,the remains of a horse and the cart ,which had belonged to the milkman many years before.

19/08/2013 at 23:25

Hi just before i go to bed i thought i'd say thanks for your thoughts on your finds when you first moved in,

Zombie,

We found in the cottage we had in north -wales one of those 1960's food cabinetts, the ones that have a draw-bridge like working surface and little seperate places for the bread and a tinned off area for cooler foods, a tea caddy  space and in this draw-bridge working top "it opens and there you'll find a big space for more kitchen tools to hide, its got 2 x drawers at the top & two top & two bottom cubourds,

It's here with us in france as we just didnt wont to leave it back in the uk and im going to strip all the old paint off and repaint it,

at the minute its in my workshop and used for storing all home made chutney.

It's nice to be able to have the time for these winter projects,

Nothing better when the outside is freezing to be inside the workshop, the tea -pot never cold, one of the dogs laying on the mat and the radio on, just passing the time away doing up this or that.

20/08/2013 at 21:54

What was in that chest we found in the soil when we first moved in,

I'd spent weeks clearing all the man made rubbish bricks /bottles/ you name it and we found it And then it was the turn of mother nature stuff, like brambles and tree's that had re-rooted, shoots shooting up from the main tree's,

With the brambles the only way is to chop the top growth off so you can get to the roots via digging the lot out and having a bon - fire,

Having done all this and now looking at bare ground i got my howard gem rotovator on the job it was hard work and long hours to cover little ground,

when our neighbour  on the opposit side of the track turned up on his tractor complete with plough and said let's do the job quicker, It was then after he'd finished and gone home i noticed this corner sticking up,

I dug just a few feet and there it was the chest and something was inside, "i could hear it rattle as i pulled the chest on top of the ground,

What was it????

We forced the rusty bolt lock off and the lid just fell apart as we peared inside,

I found wrapped up in what looked like canvas a dog, also i found its lead and a small teddy,

it had been there a long time as the house was empty for 25 year before we bought it and so this little chest was its grave,

I dug a lot deeper and to this day the treasure is still in its place of rest just under the old apple tree.

No gold as such but something that was worth a lot more to that dogs owner.

20/08/2013 at 22:43

Oh Smokin, that is so sad.

20/08/2013 at 23:40

Smokin I was thinking it's was going to be a cat. Almost..

21/08/2013 at 07:07

Hi zombie,

I didnt know what was going to be in that chest "meeeeee owwwwwwww was i to know,

but a near got it right from you "nice try".

email image
8 messages