London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 34 messages
07/11/2013 at 09:17

Another potentially interesting series starts on Wednesday 13th Nov on BBC2 at 9pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/tudor-abbey-farm.html

Lyn
07/11/2013 at 09:21

Thanks for the reminder David, i enjoy those progs.

07/11/2013 at 09:24
Lyn wrote (see)

Thanks for the reminder David, i enjoy those progs.

You're welcome, Lyn....and whoops, make that MONASTERY  can't edit it either.

07/11/2013 at 09:38

Thanks David - will make a note of that  Perhaps I'll be able to stay awake to watch it now that I won't be at work!

07/11/2013 at 11:24

Thanks for that David, I really enjoy these programs

07/11/2013 at 12:13

Preview was on yesterday,it does look good.

13/11/2013 at 09:16

Reminder: BBC2 at 9.00pm tonight.

13/11/2013 at 09:21

Thank you David  much appreciated.

13/11/2013 at 10:55

Thanks David! I shall be commendeering the sofa and remote control!

13/11/2013 at 13:30

I've had a reminder for this for weeks. Can't wait. I love these sort of programms, find them totally addictive and to be honest far more informative than any number of hours spent poring over books or god forbid the internet! Hope you all enjoy it.

13/11/2013 at 14:43

I'm looking forward to this series too......perhaps we can discuss it here, week by week.

13/11/2013 at 16:33

Hello DK!  I suppose you might perhaps wonder whether Frank (aka Palaisglide) and I will be watching!  I'm not sure where Frank is at the moment - he's not posted here for ages, so I do hope he's OK.........

I'm sure you'll recall that  Frank and I felt there were quite a few occasions during the earlier series which really showed the presenters' lack of research and knowledge of the subjects they covered, so I'm wondering whether they'll continue in the same vein.  It's a pity that people were taken in by this, and misled completely at times - for example, do you remember when one of the presenters said that rats don't have a bladder?  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!     He couldn't explain/didn't know why they urinate the way they do, so made an utterly incorrect statement.  They made mistakes about hatching chicks/brooders etc. - and milked a cow just after her calf had suckled,  without washing her udder and teats.  There were lots of other similar "howlers" so I'll no doubt be yelling at the TV  tonight - again!   Cheers!  Ma.

13/11/2013 at 18:32

Hello, Ma.....really nice to hear from you.   Quite right, I did rather expect that Frank & your good self would be looking in.

I will agree there have been a few gaffs over some of the series, but I still think it makes wholesome viewing for lots of people. I'm sure you'll agree, The Victorian Farm was probably the most accurately portrayed .

Fingers crossed that it's a good watch......at least none of us will have any firsthand experience of this one.

Best wishes & look forward to your knowledgeable feedback.

14/11/2013 at 09:51

Blast... I missed it, too busy watching Poirot  !!

Lyn
14/11/2013 at 10:13

They do make mistakes, trying to plough with the cows was the funniest!  They said to make the bowls out of hard wood such as beech, then chopped an oak log. Even so, i love the entertainment value of this and will be waiting to see how the fodder peas grow later in the season.

14/11/2013 at 10:18

They sure do, Lyn......I thought the lightweight harrow was quite amusing, bouncing over the surface and achieving very little.

14/11/2013 at 10:41

The harrow may not have achieved a lot on the ground, but it is a recognised technique for accustoming draught horses (and presumably oxen) to the feeling and noise of something following along behind them whenever they move.

Remember the Eagles' song Take it Easy ..... "don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy" is an analogy for someone getting stressed by their own life, and refers to young carriage horses being spooked by the carriage they were pulling.

From what I could see that was what was happening with the oxen on tv last night and I think they may have had more fun and games with them than we saw!!! 

As for Southdown sheep - a lovely docile breed - I used to keep a flock of them and they're probably my favourites.  I think they've been chosen for their docility rather than for authenticity, as the breed was only established about 200 years ago.  The rangier and livelier Norfolk Horn type of sheep or even the ancestors of the Lincoln Longwool would've been more authentic but they might have been more difficult for the programme to manage.

Nevertheless, a fascinating programme and I look forward to the next one.  

14/11/2013 at 10:47

I think in the day they may have added something heavy like a tree trunk to give the harrow effectiveness.....but I'm aware that these two lightweights were struggling.

"Nevertheless, a fascinating programme and I look forward to the next one"...same here.

14/11/2013 at 14:43

Anyone watching this 'Tudor Monastery Farm' series may wish to tune in a little earlier next Wednesday.

A new series called ‘Nigel And Adam's Farm Kitchen' starts Wed 20th Nov 8.00-9.00pm on BBC1, featuring cook Nigel Slater & Countryfile's Adam Henson.

Anything Adam is involved in is usually interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2013/47/nigel-and-adams-farm-kitchen.html

14/11/2013 at 15:09

Ooh, that's a definite in my viewing diary (if I kept such a thing).  I'll try to remember!

1 to 20 of 34 messages