Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Update on technical issues

Hello everyone,

As you know, we still have fixes outstanding for various forum bugs. Here is a (rather epic) update on progress:

Problem uploading avatar images

This is a bug affecting some users of Internet Explorer. The development work on this was completed yesterday. Anticipated time until live on site – one week. In the meantime, if you wish to upload a new avatar, please try using another browser, such as Firefox or Chrome.

Private messages not displaying in correct order and other PM glitches

A developer is currently working on this issue. It will go into testing next week, so approximate lead time is two weeks.

Posting on the forum when logged out – error page displayed

We had a bug whereby forum posts written while logged out of the site were lost, and an error page was returned. Now, if you post while logged out, you’ll be returned to your profile page after signing in – your post will appear when you navigate to the forum. This fix is now live on the site.

Spellchecker

We use a third-party spellchecker tool, which the supplier is discontinuing, due to spellchecker tools being built into browsers.

So: the spellchecker will shortly be removed from the ‘edit’ menu bar, as it no longer works. We’re looking at implementing another spellchecker tool – the ‘go live’ date is likely to be a month or so.

As an interim solution I’ve just tested the built-in spellcheckers within Chrome and Firefox, but they’re not working within the ‘edit’ box. One of our developers will be looking at fixing this (likely to be a full day’s work), so I’ll let you know once I have more news. Hopefully we can get those working for you until the more permanent solution is implemented.

Notification messages

I’m told the notifications are now working again and the fix is live on the site. Do, of course, let us know if you have any further problems.

Christmas-themed emoticons

The Christmas-themed emoticons were popular last year, so we’re bringing them back for Christmas 2013. This is expected to happen in the next week, as part of our next ‘site build’. (This is far too early for anything related to Christmas in my view – I suggest ignoring them until early December.)

I think that's everything!

Daniel Haynes
Editor, gardenersworld.com

• Thank you Daniel image

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Thank youimage

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Don't use avatars or emoticons but am very pleased that yo'ure keeping us up to date with developments.  THank you Daniel and the team.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

I still don't get any email notifications Daniel image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

That's really helpful - thanks Daniel and team image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Thanks for the update Daniel - also nice to know that you share my views of the Chr***** word or accessories being used in October (or even early November at that!).

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Turned on my e-mails today to find 72 notifications - guessed it's sortedimage

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Me too Matty - I can beat you I had 96 - oops I'm fibbing -  that included other emails.

Thanks Daniel.

• thanks Daniel & for your help with uploading photos! I've never had email notifications though despite ticking the box?

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Thanks Daniel. I tick the box to turn OFF notifications but still get then, when they are working. I'd prefer no notifications unless its a PM.