Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

vine weevil

Hi everyone,

yesterday i caught a sneaky vine weevil upto no good on one of my pristine primulas.

Immediatly, I went  out and bought some vine beetle KILLER, but when I got home and studied the remedies I already have in my greenhouse, I came across my bayers all bug control.(which is a systemic product).

My quiery is could i have saved my money and just treat my potted primulas whith the Bayer stuff???

pete

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Was the weevil an adult or a grub?
  • Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

Yes!

And if you are careful with your ratios, you can also use it for Bayer Lawn Chafer Grub / Leatherjacket control, which comes as a powder in sachets but is teh same ingredient. . I worked out last year that it is around one tenth the cost oer square metre. 

Figrat, the response would be the same either way. If it was an adult, it will have been laying eggs. Also, the active ingredient is absorbed in the leaves and kills insects that nibble them. 

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

OH carefully saved a bug he had found this morning for me to see. I screamed Kill it quick -yep a vine weevil. OH didn't have a clue.

Last year he learnt about lily beetles, I suppose this years lesson will be vine weevils

• It was an adult and enjoying the leaves.........RIP! ...........not anymore.

So I could have saved my money and used the bayer systemic stuff eh!

Bayer list some of the bugs it will kill but why dont they mention this  pest.

You are right Verdun. I should have read the post more carefully. Bayer make a pesticide called Provado Ultimate Bug Killer, which has the same active ingredient as Provado Vine Weevil Killer, i.e. thiacloprid., in the same concentration, 9 grams per litre. they sell at around the same price, around £8 for 400ml.

Their Vine Weevil Killer used to use a very similar ingredient, imidacloprid, but the formula changed (they now call it vine Weevil Killer 2! I think it was in response to concerns about imidacloprid and bees. Imidacloprid is still used in their Lawn Grub Killer, and the thiacloprid products can be used instead, provided you do the maths and get the concentration right. There is a BIG saving. 

• what do vine weevil eggs look like?

• TerryHTerryH Posts: 3

I live in The Netherlands. I had never heard of the Vine Weevil, Dutch name Taxus Kever. At first, I thought my climbing Hydrenga was being attacked by Snails. When my Snail korrels didn't help, I researched the Dutch internet and found out about these little devils. I am using Bayer's Bio1020 compost to fight the Taxus Kever. Bought from Citytree in Ridderkerk (NL). Their supplier is Van Iersel in Udenhout (NL). It is compost containing a fungus especially developed to kill the weevil, the larve and eggs. It takes about 3 days to work.

• addictaddict Posts: 659

The main ingredient in Provado...thiacloprid.....has also been linked to depleting numbers in bee population image If the plant is in the ground it will survive beetle damage and grubs will be eaten by predators. If in a pot put a bit of landscape fabric in the bottom, leaves no access through drainage holes, and give the top of the pot a thick layer of gravel/grit etc. Beetles can't lay.