Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

water butt

I picked up a 1000 ltr water but of the net £25 and local ,iv fitted it in the corner of the garden behind some hedge and connected the downpipe of the rain gutter to it ,also for £5 i got the double hosepipe connector for it ,all works a treat ,Trouble is they normaly cost £50 AND £50 to del as many as you want. but i thought id let you know they are so easy to fit and use ,wot 1000 ltres thats got to be  erm a lot of water butts ,and all them taps and stands ,is it 260 gallons about  fruit trees are in for a treat next year,image

• Nice one Alan.  It can get very dry for those of us in the East of the country - I'm sure you have noticed since moving from wettest Wales! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Thats good Alan,, they dont need to cost a fortune, I have some just draining over into  big dustbins. The fittings are cheap and easy to do yourself.

Well done for looking around.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

I found it was the delivery that was the problem off the net ,plenty of them about but delivery doubles up the price.and luckily i got a dark blue one. 

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Do you mean yours is 1000lt or a 100lt, mine are all about 200lt and stand over 3ft tall, ?

Your local water board sell them and at the moment its buy one get one half price, they come with the drainsaver for the downpipe.

Ebay have lots, all free delivery. Argos sell them, you can collect from there. Nothing like a 1000lt though.

I have several here, also big dustbins for the overflow,  I dont have much water pressure so rarely use the hose pipe. Your plants will definitely benefit  from rainwater.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• iGrowiGrow Posts: 183
    I presume Alan is talking about a standard IBC (Industrial Bulk Container).
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Correct iGrow, mine was a Bulk wine container, it is perfect for what i need and due to the amount of water it holds the connected hoses work a treat all over the garden,no water buckets anymore its so easy now.  

• imageAVOID argos! I bought my last water butt from there and it split! Not very well made.

Currently looking for a new water butt for my new bungalow

• I bought my new water butt from water-butts.net

Bought a big litre for a small price. (525 Litre) There are quite a range of sizes on there.

• Wow, those are expensive! Think I'll go for something a bit cheaper!

• hicksterhickster Posts: 3

hi - I have an allotment and am trying to run a hose pipe with a shower head (same principle as a watering can) from a 1000ltr water butt, Length of run is going to be 12 metres max, can anyone advice on how I can get the right amount of pressure to enable this (without use of power).