Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

water those poor souls!

Yes we had snow and the odd bit of rain, but your bulbs, daffs, tulips need water now!!! if you have baskets water them everyday.. you won't be disappointed! Give them a feed once a week, and when they go to seed pinch them off, and continue to feed.. they will store this for next year :P

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

BB - thats good advice.  When you say "feed" - what do you use?

• BrummieBenBrummieBen Posts: 460

just a normal general fertiliser, easiest to mix in the watering can as you fill. If you pinch out the seed heads after the flowering, the leaves left behind are the ones storing up the food for next year, so that is why I said feed and water well. In summer you can then dig these nice plump bulbs up and store til oct/nov and replant then.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

So B(L)B 

I've got these bulbs in pots, should have been in the ground but hadn't got the site prepared.

If I feed when they finish flowering, leave til the leaves die down, then put somewhere dry. Can I just plant them into the garden at the usual planting time this year?

There are some narcissi, tulips, crocuses, iris reticulata and a few other oddments.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Nutcutlet, move the pots to a sheltered area water them well with some soluble fertiliser in the can. Keep them just damp and let the sunshine build up the bulbs through the leaves, never cut the leaves, tie them in knots or any of the other old wives tales just let them die down naturally this takes six to eight weeks.
    Drop the bulbs out of the pots and check them over then I hang them from the garage rafters in a net bag, (old veg bag).
    Put them in the ground back end of September, three bulb depth down and leave after watering in.

Frank.

• BrummieBenBrummieBen Posts: 460

yep, once the foliage dies back, lift them brush off the soil, then treat them like onions/garlic. Put them in a net bag, or an old pair of tights, and put thm in a cool spot in the shed/garage. Then plant them in autumn as usual. I find if I give them feed once a week, even the pound shop bulbs are like 5 times the size for next year, and you get many more flowers,

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Thank you both.  I was going to leave them in the pots but you both suggest taking them out so I'll do that.

Thanks again

Angie

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Love the idea of using an old pair of tights as a substitute for a net bag - will remember that one image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,028

BrummieBen, why are you now BrummieLeperBen? Have you been a naughty boy? I've been away (only in England, but no computer) so I've got left behind.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.