London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
6 messages
22/07/2013 at 13:02

I hope people find this article I've put together useful.

You are welcome to add your own  advice / tips to this forum!

Some ways to save water

Choose plants that require less water to start with. Rosemary and lavender have low requirements. Water friendly vegetables include onions, shallots and brussel sprouts.

Water your plants early in the morning or in the evening when the evaporation rate is less if you possibly can.

Try to water as accurately as possible. It’s usually better to water many plants such as courgettes at the base anyway.

Make the most of partial shade for those plants which are more water thirsty such as radishes and lettuce.

Take the opportunity to store extra water when it is plentiful by installing water butts to the guttering on allotment or garden sheds. This will then be stored until it is needed in the hot and dry weather.

Grass cuttings can be used as a “mulch” around some plants to help hold the moisture in as well as to suppress weeds.

Washing up water can be reused by emptying it on to plants close to your doorstep.

Finally, while taking measures to conserve water it’s worth sparing a small dish  of water to share with wildlife. I’m sure it will be appreciated!

22/07/2013 at 14:37

I collect the run off water from my hot tap when doing the washing up (no dishwasher...)

Run the water straight into empty 4pint milk bottles, That goes straight into the watering can.

01/08/2013 at 12:23

Over the really hot spell we've had I've been saving my bathwater from the previous evening and watering my plants with it the next morning. They don't seem to mind at all that it had blackcurrant and blackberry flavoured bubble bath in it the next before!

01/08/2013 at 13:23

I have 2 water butts and when it rains a lot to stop extra water flowing out and losing it, I re use all the empty water bottles I drink 2ltr or 5ltr and fill them up for spare water and them take down garden to use in watering can when needed.

01/08/2013 at 13:48

Anybody else remember the slogan for the 1976 drought -" If it's yellow, it's mellow. If it's brown, flush it down"? Unfortunately it was a little too catchy and I've never been able to erase it from the memory banks.

Anybody remember the Punch cartoon from the same year of the man in his greenhouse shouting to his wife "Quick! Have another bath, the tomatoes are wilting!"

01/08/2013 at 14:19

Grey water is so underused.... I have a water butt that all my bath water goes to then it's ready to use on the beds lol and mine don't mind the bubble bath either!!

email image
6 messages