London (change)
Wed 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
13 messages
07/05/2012 at 15:21

As we are variously suffering random weather events at the moment, I thought it might be interesting to look at country sayings month by month regarding the weather.  In addition, there are other supposed "indicators" of good or bad weather. 

Hope it will be of interest - especially if we have regional variations!

So: to start it off, for May:

"A wet May brings a good load of hay" ie plenty of sunshine in June.  (Good - that means we should have something resembling a summer, then )

And:

"A cold May and a windy,
Makes a fat barn and a findy*"

*findy = good weight

Let's hope we don't have too much hot weather (doesnt seem likely, does it?) because:  "A hot May makes a fat churchyard"

Must be lots of other folklore out there .   .   .  

07/05/2012 at 20:14

Here goes.

"If March comes in like a lion, it will go out like a lamb."

With March being such a changeable month in which we can see warm springlike temperatures or late snowstorms, you can understand how this saying may hold true in some instances.

We can only hope that if March starts off cold and stormy, it will end warm & sunny...I suppose the key word is hope.

07/05/2012 at 20:22

Two in Spanish (with translation, don't panic!):

"En abril, aguas mil". In April, water by the thousand. (bit dodgy in translation, but you get the idea).

"Hasta el 40 de mayo, no te quites el sayo". Until the 40th May, don't take off your  tunic. 

07/05/2012 at 20:44
Referring to trees coming into leaf: if the ash before the oak Then we're in for a soak If the oak before the ash Then we're in for a splash.
07/05/2012 at 21:06

David - here March came in like a lamb - and went out like one, too!  No idea what that means in weather lore (unless it's "and will be followed by lots of rain, wind, hail and thunder yet there still be a drought" )

Lorea:  thank goodness you translated:  suppose it's a bit like "Ne'er cast a clout till May be out" - though this can mean either the month or the flower.

And figrat - I can't see the ash or the oak through the veils of rain.  Wonder what that means?  There is another rhyme which seems to contradict yours:  "If the ash before the oak, We shall have a summer of dust and smoke".   Hmmm. 

Fascinating stuff. 

07/05/2012 at 21:24

"The south wind brings wet weather...the north wind, wet & cold weather; the west wind always brings us rain...the east wind blows it back again".

07/05/2012 at 21:33
Locally, though I'm sure there are many regional similarities: If you can see Dartmoor, it's going to rain. If you can't see Dartmoor, it's raining.
08/05/2012 at 09:50

There's a general Spanish saying which I love:

"Al mal tiempo, buena cara".   To the bad weather, good face.

This is the 'grin and bear it' school of stoicism in the face of things we can't control. My good face, however, is starting to wear a little thin...

10/05/2012 at 08:22

I've always thought Michael Flanders of Flanders and Swann got it just about right in his 'Song of the Weather:

January brings the snow

Makes your feet and fingers glow

February's ice and sleet

Freeze the toes right off your feet

Welcome March with wintry wind

Would thou wer't not so unkind

April brings the sweet spring showers

On and on for hours and hours

Farmers fear unkindly May

Frost by night and hail by day

June just rains and never stops

Thirty days and spoils the crops

In July the sun is hot

Is it shining? No, it's not

August cold, and dank, and wet

Brings more rain than any yet

Bleak September's mist and mud

Is enough to chill the blood

Then October adds a gale

Wind and slush and rain and hail

Dark November brings the fog

Should not do it to a dog

Freezing wet December then:

Bloody January again!

10/05/2012 at 08:47

Very good, Brenda!

I remember one from my school days.

"First if friz

then it snew

then there came a wind that blew

Then there came a shower of rain

then it friz & snew again."

10/05/2012 at 09:06

LOL!  Excellent.  Just about sums it up, doesn't it?

As we say up here in Aberdeenshire: 'If you don't like our weather, wait half an hour'.

10/05/2012 at 10:20
BrendaScott53 wrote (see)

LOL!  Excellent.  Just about sums it up, doesn't it?

As we say up here in Aberdeenshire: 'If you don't like our weather, wait half an hour'.

Whoops...sorry for the typo, please read 'First it friz'...just missed the edit deadline.  

11/05/2012 at 09:30

This is one I've found to be fairly accurate over the years:

'Rain before 7, fine before 11'.

email image
13 messages