Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Weather warnings issued

Hi all,  just finished wind proofing the garden as best I can.

The forecast is for very strong winds and heavy rain overnight and tomorrow, up to 50mph here in Manchester.

I had a couple of pots blow over yesterday so have moved the lot to a sheltered spot at the side of the house and generally weighted down anything that moves with lots of bricks.

The rain has just started now. Good luck weathering the storm, I hope there's not too much damage in the morning.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

we're 750ft up in North Devon and about 10 miles from the Atlantic. Kinda have to get used to it here. image

Devon.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

Hi Hostafan, do you always have strong winds there? The west always seems to get the worst of the wet and windy thanks to the Atlantic.

In my northern mind it's always nice down south  image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Kitty I was brought up on the West of Scotland and moved to Hampshire in 1984. I was amazed how tall the trees were.

We moved here 3 years ago, and I was amazed how stunted the trees are if you're anywhere near the coast, and you can usually tell which direction the sea is.

Devon.
  • PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

I been trying to wind proof the garden today - removing objects would could possibly blow into the GH, I wonder if next doors trampoline will make it over the fence image -sellotaping vents -  locked door / bag of compost leaning on the door, last year the GH got a few panes blown out ever since I been paranoid about the GH getting damaged, sleepless night tonight I think image.

I dont live to far away from Manchester about 20 mile a lot more hills here though 340 metre above mean sea level according to met office , forecast up to 65mph winds.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150

I've often wondered about those trampolines too Perki, don't have one but some neighbours do.  They could do a lot of damage if they went over.

Fingers crossed that it won't be as bad as predicted.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Always windy here on West side of Dartmoor, 960ft above. Very rarely dry washing as usually in the clouds, anyone remember the cartoon Adams Family, they toured around in a camper van with a permanent rain cloud over them! 

You get used to what you can grow, anything taller than a daisy needs staking, plastic greenhouses need to be roped to the wall.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Apparently British Rail have great problems with trampolines blowing onto the lines in exceptionally windy weather.  Owners should dig them into pits - safer for the kids too- and when they grow up the pit can be turned into a pond.   

Hope everyone stays safe and secure.

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

And in Dorset where the south-westerly will be rattling the windows.  Might be a good day for washing the dog blankets tomorrow image. I got a lot done outside this morning but cannot see across the valley now so Scout will be getting a very short but brisk walk shortly

• PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

Just when you think Spring here to stay image wind starting to pick up here as well image