London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
61 to 80 of 108 messages
23/03/2013 at 10:22

Bob- forget the compost and put your feet up with a cup of tea and a bun!!  I've got soup- would you like some? Send a husky team...

23/03/2013 at 10:24
23/03/2013 at 10:32

I did seriously consider building full size poly-tunnels over all of my veg growing areas once, Fairygirl, but decided they look too unsightly - veg plots in the middle of my garden and ornamental around all the sides, so no way of hiding them. Unfortunately I've just finished my 2nd cup of coffee so am now raring to go - should have had some nice relaxing tea instead!

23/03/2013 at 10:42

I'm with Figrat about chocolate. I will now I am older have the odd piece, but choco cake nand puddings leave me cold

Snowing heavily here, not even ventured out to GH to take temperature readings, 

Trying to find egg cosy knitting pattern on internet to keep me quiet for the day. Already have 2 little egg cups for grand daughter.

23/03/2013 at 10:43

Or drink decaf.  I pondered putting polytunnels over my PSB and cavolo nero for this winter but the decided against it because of the winds we get.  Wish I had now as they both got frozen to mush.

As a result, I've sown PSB early this year aiming to get a crop in autumn and will protect what's left for the winter and hang what it looks like.   They're doing well and are ready to pot on.

Off to wake up the teenager now.   She has to do some studying before she goes off to do her theatre piece this evening.   We're going tomorrow night - Joy - French comedy drama done by teenage amateurs.  I shall need a lot of chocolate!

23/03/2013 at 10:49
BobTheGardener wrote (see)

I did seriously consider building full size poly-tunnels over all of my veg growing areas once, Fairygirl, but decided they look too unsightly - veg plots in the middle of my garden and ornamental around all the sides, so no way of hiding them. Unfortunately I've just finished my 2nd cup of coffee so am now raring to go - should have had some nice relaxing tea instead!

Always room for another cup in my house! I know what you  mean about polytunnels. I don't have room for anything that size now but could have done in last house although they'd probably have blown away! Not sure I would have made full use of them anyway though. I now have what est agents laughingly call ' a low maintenance garden' (ie slabs and gravel -they're hilarious aren't they? ) but once I've done my extension I'll be cracking on with some plants and veg bits. A nice big row of daffs down side of house though so I'll move them later on, and a couple of bits and pieces coming through. I've plenty of structural stuff in pots so they'll suffice for now. Good blank canvas.

23/03/2013 at 10:51
Expect to hear lots been done today then bob

Rosa choc pudd a no-no love the idea of egg cup cosy although keep your snow

Obelixx ...much chocolate required me thinks
23/03/2013 at 10:56

Hi to all,

It's cold here, far to cold and snowy to go out in the garden which makes me so restless indeed, I have looked at my seedling a million times this morning  in the conservatorywith hope something has changed lol, roll on spring.

23/03/2013 at 10:59
Keep checking Stephen !!
23/03/2013 at 11:00

Forgot to say that this is my first post on GW after joing yesterday, I have been meaning to do it for ages with a prompt in the magazie each moth but have finally done it, so far it looks great.

Happy gardening

23/03/2013 at 11:04

Just had a look and they all seem the same as 20 mins ago, surly they must have grown in that time

23/03/2013 at 11:05
Welcome then Stephen , you will soon get used to site and forum . hope you enjoy , lots to learn on here .
23/03/2013 at 11:37

Obelixx- you'll need more than chocolate methinks! I've now started dyeing towels -I know don't laugh- and about to start ironing. Better make sure no dye left in machine before I do the whites eh? Older daughter might like her lab coat purple tho. Better than the blood and guts that were on it anyway. She asked if she could put it in washing machine the other day and I asked her if she knew where it was....

23/03/2013 at 11:49
Stephen Wagner wrote (see)

Just had a look and they all seem the same as 20 mins ago, surly they must have grown in that time

We all live in hope Stephen  We're all discussing various merits of tea/coffee/chocolate/teenagers and polytunnels! A rare mix!

23/03/2013 at 11:57

WElcome Stephan

Pop in and out of what ever thread interests you. Newbies always welcome 

23/03/2013 at 13:30

Stephen - I have chillies which are taking their own sweet time at germinating considering the first babies popped up 2 weeks ago and some are only just poking up.  This morning 3 more had appeared and I check them every half hour as I pass.

Didn't take me long to pot up the 18 Tumbler red toms and 12 Black Russians taht were ready.  The last 6 BR's and the chillies still only have their seed leaves.   Kitchen all clean again and I'm making marmalade.  That won't take long either so I'll have to think of something else such as popping out for more small pots and some trays ready for the next lot of babies.

Coffee and cake first.

23/03/2013 at 13:47
Decided against bread making, my hands are too cold
Made chorizo and potato soup to have with the cheesey scones , just finished with some gooey choc cake

My toms and chillies haven't shown their face yet, sweet, lime and red basil coming up though along with red onion, pak choi and cornflowers...I keep checking
23/03/2013 at 14:32

You're making me feel guilty Obelixx! Any spare cake going? Swap you some ham and lentil soup. Postman just arrived with new G'S Wrld so another cup of tea and park myself with that. I should go for a walk really.... Considering taking the kitchen door off to shave a bit off the bottom... after my tea 

23/03/2013 at 14:39

Have you tried putting sand paper under the offending bit of your door and just swinging it back and forth?  Worked for me on a door last year.  Need to do it with the back door now except I think that's swollen with the damp and will fix itself naturally if we ever get any warm dry weather.

OH and I love lentil and bacon soup, pea and ham and any variation on that theme.  I shall make some next weekend as Possum, who doesn't like any of the above, will be away on a scool trip for 10 days.

I have Christmas basil doing well and summerr savoury getting leggy and have pinched out my sweet peas.   Waiting for OH to get back now so i can take the car out.  It's automatic so easy.  T'other is manual and I can't do that with a dodgy foot.

23/03/2013 at 16:25

Have lost the feeling in my fingers, but now have 72 potted-up aquilegia seedlings!

I've been growing mixed McKana Giants and caerulea for a few years, carefully removing any plants with flowers I didn't particularly like and last year collected seed from my favourites, hoping for some interesting cross-fertilisation.  From experience I know that most of the self-sown offspring from aquilegias will be bland hence the need to grow-on so many babies.  Fingers crossed (well, I would if I could still cross 'em!) that they flower this year and I get some 'good uns'!

Got the bare-root magnolia 'sunrise' (I think it's a soulangeana hybrid?) into a temporary pot, too.  Oh, and found a load of clematis cuttings I took last year and left in the cold frame are showing shoots from below, so all in all I had a great day in the garden, despite the blummin' snow!

61 to 80 of 108 messages