London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 6°C
81 to 100 of 108 messages
23/03/2013 at 16:34

wow you have been busy

23/03/2013 at 16:54

Well done you.  Too bitterly cold here for even going out to cut back dead stems on perennials and the ground is hard.

However we are apparently expecting sunshine on Monday and Tuesday and temps just above zero so I'm hopeful of getting out there for a while on Monday, after the scientists have been for their English class, and most of Tuesday.    Hope to get lots of the spring clear up done.

23/03/2013 at 17:10

Good luck with the weather over there, obelixx!  I've a huge pile of stuff which needs shredding so am hoping for some dry weather over next weekend.  The forecast here doesn't look promising for then though.

23/03/2013 at 19:13

Bob you're making us all feel very lazy. I ventured out and it had managed to reach 0 degrees but there was a bitter wind so below that in real money. Supposed to be frosty here tonight but there's a lot of grey snow laden cloud so not sure about that. Brought my stuff in from shed but not got too many trays etc at moment due to house move etc but will make a start with basil and lettuce etc in the vain hope that one day salad will seem a pleasant option for lunch instead of soup! 

23/03/2013 at 19:29

Sandpaper a great idea Obelixx but I think it needs a bit of planing as it's catching door tread at hinge end quite badly. Will maybe try that first though as it would save a bit of grief! 

23/03/2013 at 19:59
Well not done a lot other than froze on dog walk, froze helping OH in workshop, froze bringing logs in , froze , froze , froze ....
Pizza dough made and resting , OH has made the Tom sauce , thawing by the fire ...or would if could get near it for the dog ... And a g&t to hand pondering how many jobs we are all going to suddenly have to deal with once the ice age gives over
23/03/2013 at 20:17
sotongeoff wrote (see)

I shall be painting a ceiling-or I may be supervising the painting of a ceiling

I didn't-p'raps tomorrow

23/03/2013 at 20:22
Tsk Geoff ...what have you done all day ?
23/03/2013 at 22:26

It has turned white outside!  And we have to take Possum and a friend to Antwerp to support their teacher in a Hip Hop competition.   We'll be rugging up warms and taking blankets and chocolate just in case.

Maybe while we're out the rest of the chillies will pop while I'm not watching.

Geoff - get that ceiling painted so you're free to garden when it's better weather.

23/03/2013 at 22:31
Ohhh noooo have we sent it back south

Good luck with trip ..take a flask of soup too
Those chillies will be reaching for the sky on your return (if Siberia diverts elsewhere) ...and I thought Belgium was warm ...well I was 5 when last there
24/03/2013 at 07:56

Belgium has no Gulf Stream so is colder in winter and a bit warmer in summer.  We are in the middle on the crest between the Meuse and Scheldt basins so, whilst not very high, there is no shelter from draughts.  Not so bad when it's westerlies coming from the Atlantic via France but perishing when it's from Siberia.

It's still snowing a bit but the main roads are clear so we should be OK once we get to them.   Just a bit slippery on the way but the winter tyres can cope.

Meanwhile, another chilli has popped over night.  Excellent.

Hops it's not too bad your way everyone.

24/03/2013 at 08:16

Freezing here but sun trying to peek through now. Got to go a good walk today- ate way too much yesterday with all that talk of cakes and chocolate and soup! I think my seeds might germinate around August at this rate. Have a good day everyone and stay warm if you can! 

24/03/2013 at 08:33
No snow has fallen but biting wind still, curlews in the back field again and some deer . Nemesia have decided to brave it and pop out of the soil, pak choi and cornflowers romping away .
24/03/2013 at 08:58

I have just put mytrya of nemesia seeds out for a frosting to see if that gets them going.  the packet said 10 to 21 days to germinate and now we're at 4 weeks and nothing.

Have just cleared 3" of snow off the car and turned on teh engine to thaw the windows.  Roads OK apparently once we get out of the village..

have fun everyone;

24/03/2013 at 09:01

I'm very jealous of your curlews Bunny.  Your location sounds fabulous. And how do you keep the deer out? They're worse than rabbits. We didn't have any trouble with them where I was before although there were plenty nearby but the rabbits were a nightmare and we didn't have dogs  or anything. The so called rabbit proof plants just aren't! Or do we have a very determined strain of bunnies up here? 

24/03/2013 at 09:18
Mine have been there a week or so Obelixx , with the cornflowers , back bedroom , nemesia carnival they are.

Fairygirl the curlews appeared yesterday , we get them anyway , they next in long grass of fields (grown for cattle and sheep not milk cows) so only cut once later in yr. The deer tend to stay away from garden , we had them in past when no gates /fencing. A lot of forest so tend to be there. We border Northumberland so forest is part of kielder .
We don't have many bunnies , some warrens around but rare to see any in garden. My brother has loads his lab chases them
24/03/2013 at 09:18
Ohhhh and just checked my tomatoes ... 6 seedlings over night ...whoooop , sweet n neat they are
24/03/2013 at 09:21
Bob can you give me a simple direction on when hand how you took your clematis cutting and what potting mix you used where you put them and how often you watered, sorry for all the question been trying without success you see! Would this also work for honey suckle.
24/03/2013 at 09:38

whoops - snap! Paul, just dropped in (to get warm)..saw the post re clematis cuttings..

Bob, any advice would be gratefully received.

Although buying in plants for new bed being able to grow my own would be, well, not only a bonus but amazing!

24/03/2013 at 11:13

Cut clematis about 1cm aboce a leaf node and about 5 cm below. Leave one leaf. I dip mine in rooting hormone. Place around th eedge of a pot - 4ins is fine for 2-3. I use seed and cutting compost. place in a plastic bag in a warm place. I always put in 3 small sticks to keep the bag above the foiliage. 

It takes about 6 weeks to take and be prepared to lose some. Once taken remove bag and grow on until you can see the roots coming through the holes then carefully pot up individually.

If you have watered the compost before you plant cutting the bag shouls keep moisture in. Water fromt ethe base only of the compost is dry.

Hope this helps - haven't seen previous post but I'm sure it will be similar 

81 to 100 of 108 messages