London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
61 to 80 of 108 messages
13/10/2012 at 10:13

Any of you techies out there know (or maybe are having the same problem) why my cursor won't flash within the reply box here and on The Archers messageboard, it flashes away merrily with 'Word' & other applications.

23/03/2013 at 06:01

Hello, just opened the door  to this Potting Shed...I like it...feels friendly, comfy...books, tips, chit-chat - not too heavy/ranty or clicquey...may I come in?

23/03/2013 at 08:30

Hi Cilmeri. When I started the MOB thread, I intended it to be light and humorous. The character of a thread trends to change depending on who posts on it and IMO that's inevitable and it is best to appreciate the people who do post and go with the flow. I've had a few laughs and a lot of interesting conversation on there. I haven't been on this thread before (I think) but it looks lovely and chatty and friendly. Long may all such kindly interaction continue!

23/03/2013 at 13:19
Hello everyone, I am new too. My first question (no doubt there will be many) is can anyone suggest a garden design app for iPad? Just thought it might be fun whilst I am planning my empty plot and getting dismayed by the reality of the water logged clay I'm facing!
23/03/2013 at 14:07

Surprising the number of us that paddle about in clay hoping it will turn into loam 

Welcome to the Potting Shed. Several good chat threads on here, join in any of them, new folk are always welcome

23/03/2013 at 16:08

Hi WHiteflower - welcome to the forum.  I don't know anything about iPad apps but remember seeing a similar question recently so here are some replies.  Hope this helps!  By the way - I'm a clay paddler too

Patrevlil wrote (see)
There's an app called "paper by fifty three" which is supposed to turn an IPad into a sketchbook. Haven't used it but perhaps it's the one that Joe used. Apparently it's a free app but you have to pay for extras.

LeadFarmer wrote (see)

Susan Bradley, I think the iPad app that Joe was using is called art studio.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/artstudio-for-ipad-draw-paint/id364017607?mt=8

LeadFarmer wrote (see)

Its called ArtStudio available for iPad & iPhone. I have the free version on my iPhone but the paid version must have more features? The free version allows you to sketch as Joe did.

23/03/2013 at 18:49

Hello everyone... I'm in a listening mood - long day...good to be here...

23/03/2013 at 19:18

Hi, DaveK..no sorry..maybe ask the 'morning forkers' team...they are pretty clued up on the tech side of things.

Just wandered into a knitting club! something to do if you cant get out I suppose..

Hi, Whiteflowers.

Now clay paddling...Rosa, I'm looking to you for help here..not nercessarily immediately...

digging a new border..good soil within a spade depth but I'v turned up the clay sub-soil.. it was heavy..

What to do...put it back!!?

thank goodness it's all covered in snow for the time being.

I'm going to catch up on GW on iplayer - I may be some time...

28/03/2013 at 16:57

Hi, Rosa, re the clay paddling - problem solved as the cold & frost broke up the clay sods, easier digging. Today gave another turn of the spade so a good mix. Is nature clever or what (no don't mention the late Spring!) 

28/03/2013 at 17:21

Just replied once and it is lost in cyber space

Mine is also broken up with the frost and snow. Now I am going to put on it compost and some manure. I won't dig it in, I may stir it in, will see when I get out there.

I am sure some will disagree but it works for me in this garden

28/03/2013 at 17:24

Cilmeri, Hi, when you are digging out your border soil may i suggest that you double dig ,what I mean is take out the first spades depth and fork over the sub soil then incorporate well rotted compost of vegetable waste and back fill with the top soil you removed you will find that over time your border will become more fertile

Derek

29/03/2013 at 17:25

Derek Hi, Many thanks for this...extremely useful. 

Sizing up the border as we speak, Looks lik;ey to be sunday before I can make a start.

29/03/2013 at 17:31

Rosa, Hi, your method is the way i usually do it but as i want to plant soon(ish) i think that 'burying' the compost will suit better this time paticularly as it is a full lenth border.Will avoid disturbing the soil again for other plantings.

26/04/2013 at 23:11

Hi all, I'm a newbie, but already given out my pen'orth! 

Did you watch GW this evening?  I was astounded to watch Monty Don turn a potted plant out into his hand and just plant it in the hole, back fill and walk off.  The plant was really pot-bound, just a mass of roots and he did not cut/break open the sides/base at all, he dropped the plant in (no base dressing I suspect but maybe bed was recently treated to his chicken manure) and left it, no watering to get rid of air pockets, and to get good root contact.  I missed what the plant was but as an example to beginners/learners of how to plant I think it was far short of a model method.

27/04/2013 at 08:36

Welcome, Salli. Watched GW yesterday with half an eye because it did not seem that inspiring. I'll watch it again on Sunday morning when I'm more alert. Perhaps I was just tired.

I'm more interested in the Welsh spelling of your name, Salli. Your background sounds really interesting and I see that you live in Wiltshire.

27/04/2013 at 13:48

Is it safe to plant Busy Lizzies this year, until three years ago when they all died within a week, because of a desease affecting them, i used to have lovely pots of them. Now i can't find out if it is now safe to plant them again.

27/04/2013 at 13:58
zinnia66 wrote (see)

Is it safe to plant Busy Lizzies this year, until three years ago when they all died within a week, because of a desease affecting them, i used to have lovely pots of them. Now i can't find out if it is now safe to plant them again.

They do not seem to be on sale in the usual big outets again this year but are still available by mail order

If you are raising your own it just depends if the downy mildew returns.

29/04/2013 at 20:12

no they are not selling them in B & Q and other places the same but they are selling them in the gardening mags, i have had a few mags sent to me and all have got them in for sale, i got in touch with one of the mags about them but all the info they could give me was to check if other gardeners in my area  are still having problems with them. they assured me that the plants they were selling were fine, but if there was still a problem in my area, weston super mare, they could still die off.

10/05/2013 at 10:12

Hi all, don't know whether this is the right page to post this...but I have recently cleaned out greenhouse ready for 2013's tomato and cucumber abundance, and have now put all the spent compost in compost bin after removing the new compost for this years greenhouse...don't ask me how I did this, the logistics were incredible...however, what I don't know is how long before I can reuse this spent compost, as it looks like compost rather than kitchen/garden scraps...my other query is that my hubby refuses to change from Tetley teabags, which I find annoyingly uncompostable, and have resorted to taking the one worm from each bag, and putting the composted tea in the compost and throwing the bag away.  Does anyone else have problems with tea bags, or is it something peculiar to my compost?  One other thing folks, I shred twigs etc., also collect leaves for leaf mould and along with healthy amount of de-teabaged compost, can I combine the three for the ultimate potting mixture or should I use the three independently of each other?  Thanks for any advice forthcoming.  Cheers folks and happy gardening.

19/05/2013 at 11:55

I also have problems with tea bags not composing and some of them may be Tetly.  When I spread the compost on the garden I tend to rake it over and collect up anything that looks as if it hasn't rotted well and either throw it back into this years compost for another go or put it in our 'Green Bin' for collection by the council.  This waste goes to be composted commercially which probably generates greater heat and breaks down material quicker. 

61 to 80 of 108 messages