Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Welcome to the potting shed

Welcome to the potting shed, where you can chew the fat about any garden-related topic, trade gossip or maybe just let off steam. Recommend a favourite gardening book, discuss a recent radio programme or share your predictions for flower show medal winners.

Daniel Haynes

Editor, gardenersworld.com

• I have just found a really good book called the The Book Of Leaves. Really good pictures of six hundred leavesof trees from around the world. The potting shed is a great place for contemplation and I look forward to seeing what people have to say in this forum.

• Daniel HaynesDaniel Haynes Posts: 393 admin

Thanks for the book tip, Hedgh0g. Always useful with Christmas approaching. image

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

"The Bee-Kind Garden"by David Squire is a lovely little book to encourage gardeners to grow flowers and grasses to bring in the pollinators.  If you give this enjoyable book to a veg. gardener you will be helping him or her to get good crops for many years to come.

• Am all in favour of a bee-kind garden, as I am a beekeeper.  Where would we be without bees?  

• This is just the right time of year for gardening books.    Lovely to curl up on the settee with when it is not possible to potter outdoors

Yes, and gardening magazines!  I read my Gardeners World Magazine the day it arrives in the winter but it can pile up sometimes in the busy - outdoors seasons.

• I am trying to encourage a community gardening project to grow various fruit and vegetables throughout the year and I am loooking for a usefull gardening calender of what we should be doing or getting ready each month. We are on the outskirts of Snowdonia in North Wales so the climate or growing season is a little behind the warmer southern climate and every generic calendar i have seen to date, so how much should we trail our acctivities to those listed here? would 3-4 behind surfice? 

This is the logo on my new Bristol Botanic Garden T-shirt.  We have a Banksia one and a Bamboo-ooo one as well.  I thought it appropriate for all the very hard-working team at Gardeners World

who have managed to get their fine new website up and running for Xmas.

• Hello Peblig Community Garden Project,

In colder conditions, there are still a wide variety of crops you can grow. Potatoes, cabbages, root veg and lettuces should all thrive. On seed packets you will see a range of times for sowing outside. Avoid the earliest times to be on the safe side. However you can also use cloches and fleece to protect your sowings and young plants until you're sure that the frosts are over.

Pippa's written a blog in favour of fleece:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/blogs/grow-and-eat/heavenly-horticultural-fleece/2349.html

and there's a project on making your own cloches in our How To section:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/garden-diy/how-to-make-a-cloche-for-seeds/82.html

Do let us know how you get on.

Emma.

gardenersworld.com team.

• Hello Happy Marion,

Thank you for your cheerful dahlia greeting. Those t-shirts make a lovely change from the usual dark green/blue uniforms for botanic gardens! We're looking forward to hearing about all your activities in Bristol over the coming year.

Emma.

gardenersworld.com team