Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 172 replies

looks like Trump has won the battle between 2 unpopular candidates but it wont change anything.

That "wall" will not be built nor will any of his extreme measures be acted upon

Let's not knock the American people......for the huge majority a big change was needed.  They voted with hope in mind

no need for any of us to panic or indulge in any wild imaginings 

...just announced Trump has won !

Last edited: 09 November 2016 07:47:01

Even without the baggage, Hilary would never have won. Simply the fact that she is a woman counted against her. Trump managed to win over the white male working class vote. A sad day indeed for America. 

Dovefromabove

its not the end of the world, but it is likely to spell the end of the 'western' world as we have known it since the end of WW2 with respect to international relations and trade agreements etc. 

Americans have got what they deserve. The world however doesn't deserve the same fate.

Advertisement

B3

Obama wasn't allowed to do what he had wanted, unfortunately.  Maybe Trump' s plans will suffer the same fate.

We have sneered so often about the Americans, always describing them as war mongers and riding rough shod over everyone else.   well, if they do leave NATO. (they will not) and concentrate on putting themselves first maybe we will appreciate what we had with them. 

Hopefully the rhetoric that marked Trump will now stop.  

time will tell.  Wild speculation will not help 

Hazel --

Optimism is a wonderful thing. Pessimism is so negative. Democracy has prevailed whether people like it or not. It is insulting to those who voted for Trump to be made to feel that they have done something wrong. Like here in the UK.

The world will still turn. Be patient and allow time for things to happen. They may very well not be all so bad and bleak...........after all.

punkdoc

As usual Verdun you know all the answers.

Nice sensible words Hazel. 

Agree with the optimism/pessimism thing......thinking positively and trying to keep a smile instead of a frown makes for an easier life   Being hopeful instead of being negative 

hope everyone has a good day 

Last edited: 09 November 2016 09:08:15

The way the system in America works it will be hard for President Trump to get some of his more extreme policies enacted. The President does not have unlimited power. In the same way that Brexit is getting hooked up in legal battles, so will banning muslims and building the Mexican wall. And American courts ARE political - unashamedly so.

His success does carry another of the same problems as Brexit - it is certainly not true that half the population of America are racist (or 52% of the UK) but the racists now think that half the population agree with them. I think life will be very hard for anyone who looks or sounds foreign in the US for a while, just as has happened here 

We have to hope that he is more pragmatic than his sound bites suggest and that he will now tone down the lunacy. 

I suspect this is not the last political upset the West is going to see in this decade. Brexit is beginning to look like the head of the curve unless the political elites can come up with a more convincing response to the outsiders.

Dovefromabove
Verdun says:

.....thinking positively and trying to keep a smile instead of a frown makes for an easier life   

See original post

The problem is, mine keeps settling into a rictus grin 

We voted Brexit, the world thought us mad ! America has voted Trump, the world thinks them mad ! Russia has Putin, the world wonders why ! The point being one man makes no difference to the world as a whole. They may come up with odd policies then have to get them through various levels of legestration and reading History most Presidents feel impotent, Obama felt he had wasted his time as President. America will be what it always was despite the knee jerk from the electorate, we may yet get Brexit despite the shennaigans of the stay people and Scotland. The people showed they had a voice now it is up to those who rule to wake up, they can be put on the scrap heap.

Frank.

Advertisement

Hazel --

Well put Palaisglide. Not everyone here or abroad will agree with the result but that is what democracy is all about. There is no call for those who don't agree to be objectionable to others. 

hello britts, i am an american, and glad trump won.i always said we need a business man in the white house.he will get things done, unlike politicians who do nothing but line their own pockets.sometimes one needs to shake things up and show the elites  a bit of reality to ponder.i am no way racist my family is very diverse.no  way do i,nor would i  ever treat another human being  different than i would expect to be treated. i think people took trump to literal.he is not a politician,and hope he never gets that mind set.he may turn to be the best thing that could have ever happened to america.

Hazel --

What a treat to hear from someone who rejoices in the result! Thank you for your comments and time in writing and I hope he does America proud.

Dovefromabove

Debra - I sincerely hope that your faith in DT is justified ... however I have deep fears that you may be wrong.  Time alone will tell.  Good luck to you and to the rest of us who will doubtless be affected by the fallout, of whatever ilk.

Last edited: 09 November 2016 16:54:36