London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
15 messages
18/05/2013 at 19:35
I see them everywhere and have no idea what they are.
18/05/2013 at 19:36

...oh that's an easy one we can all answer, in unison perhaps...?

Rape !   to make rapeseed oil...

18/05/2013 at 19:48

It's a brassica, same family as cabbages, kale, Brussels sprouts etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciferous_vegetables 

It needs lots of bees to pollinate it - nowadays farmers pay beekeepers to place their hives near their fields of rape.

18/05/2013 at 20:13

I call them sunshine fields because they always look so sunny and bright.

18/05/2013 at 20:36

I call them snot fields because they set off my hay fever. But they are a cheerfull sight.

18/05/2013 at 20:39

The smell overwealms some of the more pleasant scents from the garden. Nice yellow though

18/05/2013 at 20:46

I once saw a pair of crows, totally overcome by the smell or the strength of the pollen or something, on a narrow country road between two very large areas of flowering rape at midday on a very hot sunny day - they behaved as if they were drunk, unable to fly more than a couple of feet at a time.  I watched them for ages.

18/05/2013 at 20:53
the bee keeper in our allotment said he dreads the farmer planting rape in the field next to us as he says they tend to use some very bad pesticides on rape so he says anyway,,mind you looking at rape it seems its better for us to use than even the best virgin oils i use it for almost everything have done for yonks
good luck all and aint this sunshine just great a bit burnt already today ,
Alan4711
18/05/2013 at 21:47

Oil seed Rape- it dont  half stink after its rained! it can be exused though with the cheerful yellow of it!

18/05/2013 at 21:48

The Blue is better that is the Linseed Oil /flax I think ?

18/05/2013 at 22:08

The blue is lovely. We had a white version in a nearby field one year. Not half as nice

19/05/2013 at 07:27

Yes, some/most rapeseed has in the past been treated with neonicotinoids - the pesticide that is now temporarily banned for agricultural use.  It is thought to make the whole plant, including the pollen, dangerous for bees and other pollinating insects and many believe it is responsible for bee colony collapse disorder, although some countries say they have evidence to the contrary.  That is why the ban is temporary - so thatmore  research can be done.

A thought occurs to me, if the effect of the neonicotinoid is systemic, presumably the next generation of seeds will also carry it 

19/05/2013 at 08:09

Driving past fields of Rape seed gives me an intense headache. Not a pleasant smell at all, but from a distance they do look attractive.

19/05/2013 at 08:12

The grains of rape pollen are very large and can cause sinus problems and also problems for those who suffer from hayfever.  Also because the flowers are so very light-reflective they can really dazzle you on a bright sunny day.

19/05/2013 at 08:51

Interesting, Dove. I did not realise that, although I've been following the debate about neonicitinoids with interest. Sounds as though they should at least suspend their use and see what difference it makes.

email image
15 messages