181 to 200 of 251 messages
29/05/2013 at 11:13

It's cold and wet herein the Fens, so all the things on my list (mow lawn etc) may have to wait.

29/05/2013 at 13:04

Ditto Artjak - definitely CH on, hot drinks and 'wet playtime' for the kids. Yes I know they're on hols from school - which is how they're here. We're all reading or painting pictures round the table except me on this forum. Cosy day (indoors!)

29/05/2013 at 13:14

I shouldn't boot it, Wintersong, spade it! (Sorry, couldn't resist - the image was too strong)

29/05/2013 at 14:14

Hehe Birdy13.

Well, I'm back from the allotment thoroughly soaked and muddy!

But, I managed to dig over two wide beds ready for planting, while my dad planted out his runner beans in a prepared bed with canes. Luckily we have inherited a solid structure much like a washing line which goes across the entire plot and have used it to support the canes.

We also scythed an over grown area and bagged up the spoils ready for my compost heap if it's okay to compost flowering stalks of rapeseed? I'll have to google that I think.

other than that, still lots of work to do, but given time, it shall start to pull together.

29/05/2013 at 14:21

Went out and bought a sack of live meal worms for the blue tits that are nesting on my patio...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zps36ab526c.jpg

Placed in a glass dish inside a bird feeder guard to keep the larger birds off them..

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zpscf685bc6.jpg

Heres a photo showing where my bird table is in relation to the nestbox (marked by the arrow top left). From my patio doors I like to sit & watch the tits feed their young...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/e166ac4b-fe83-4212-8fe9-251ad895e687_zps082a0703.jpg

Within minutes the parents were feasting on the meal worms and taking them to their nest...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zps16d4c2ba.jpg

29/05/2013 at 14:27

LF those pix are just fabulous! The positioning of feeders etc is so important isn't it? What better view could you have than watching them go in and out feeding their babies. I know it's been cold for birds but I think that's preferable than long term wet especially for the little ones like tits and finches. We tend to have very wet springs up here and it causes real problems fro these little birds as nests can get washed away.

PS- like your big grey planters..

29/05/2013 at 14:28

How wonderful Leadfarmer!

I'm dead jealous

What a treat for you! And well feed babies for them!

29/05/2013 at 14:35

Leadfarmer thank you for sharing these pics they are great. You are lucky to be able to sit and watch the birds.

29/05/2013 at 14:38

Thanks, I positioned everything a couple of years ago but the nestbox hasnt been used until now. And as an extra bonus a blackbird has started nesting amongst the clematis within inches of the nestbox. I didnt think they nested so close to each other!

The mealworms were only about £8 for a half kilo sack, im lucky that livefoodsdirect.co.uk are located in Sheffield where I live.

Heres the view from my armchair...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zps56c723c8.jpg

29/05/2013 at 14:42

I think those blue tits appreciate the very tasteful little abode you've created for them!

The thing that always surprises me about blackbirds is how low they nest. What a lovely little piece of paradise you've made Lead!

29/05/2013 at 14:46

Thank Fairygirl, I spend a lot of time and ££ on feeding the birds. Considering the nestbox is right next to the door on the side of my garage which I use every day, the tits seem not to care. You can even see how close the washing rotary is to the nest box. The tits just dont care. Fortunately! Despite the pleniful supl of mealworms, the tits still go out and catch other insects as well.

The tall grey planters were a lucky find in Wentworth garden centre a few years ago. I havent seen any like them since. I got a discount as one of them was cracked.

Perhaps I should have posted this in the Wildlife section?

29/05/2013 at 17:41

Wonderful pics

29/05/2013 at 21:19

Lovely garden LeadFarmer, those beds are beautifully filled with form and colour. I should think you've earned that view from your armchair.

01/06/2013 at 21:04

Lovely garden and I admire your sense of rythme and artistry in the planting. Some good ideas here. I shall steal some of them - plagarism is a speciality of mine.

01/06/2013 at 21:24

tried Algon on one slate and painted fence with colour sample

01/06/2013 at 21:28
Birdy13 wrote (see)

Lovely garden LeadFarmer, those beds are beautifully filled with form and colour. I should think you've earned that view from your armchair.

Thanks, but its all getting dug up this autumn as I want to redesign it by reducing the lawn and making much larger borders. Thats if I can muster the energy!

01/06/2013 at 21:41

Thanks for the pics Leadfarmer, really lovely

Been outside all day which is great, planted the last of the corncockles out as well as the statice. Siberian wall flowers went in the ground as well. Cosmos is now out of the frames and living outside. Moved some white tulips and some pulmonaria. It's been a great day

01/06/2013 at 21:45

Spent the mornig paintng my sons bedroom, then treated myself to an afternoon in the armchair watching the birds in my garden. Had a nice visit from a nuthatch that enjoyed the meal worms. Shame i didnt have my camera ready.

Then planed up a large pot on my patio with sweat pea and also some sunflowers that I grew from seed, coutesy of Lilylouise

01/06/2013 at 21:47

I spotted bird nest in tree yesterday with little chicks - goldfinches, I have been walking past not noticed before lots of noise was going on yesterday so looked up but they are well hidden in the trees

01/06/2013 at 21:49

Im very jealous Gardengirl, I have them visit my garden but would love them to nest in it.

181 to 200 of 251 messages