London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
221 to 240 of 251 messages
03/06/2013 at 23:42

Separated my fast growing Clematis Dr Rupel from a mature clump of Eremurus with a piece of trellis and tied the trellis to the arch this morning before work.

It's part of my plan to move the clematis at an appropriate time of year with the least disturbance because it really isn't happy where it is. Mrs Bateman on the other side of the arch is going nuts but the Doctor's having none of it. Every year it's leaves scorch and last year we lost its entire top growth due to wind damage, hence why its had to start a fresh this year.

Eremurus will get divided post flowering. Last year I counted 21-22 flower stems but this year's efforts seem much less. I hope the division goes well, they resent disturbance but they are also getting a wee bit crowded and I have had this particular Woolworths offering for fifteen years so...sounds about right

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24741.jpg?width=474&height=350&mode=max

Last year's offering that I suspect will not be repeated this year...

First thing in the morning I'm off to water the allotment plants as we don't even have mulch in our first year but at least I have the day off. Woot

03/06/2013 at 23:47

Well, that pic doesn't look like 21 flower spikes.

I just counted them in the other pictures I've got and its about 17-18. Dunno how I remember it as more but ho hum...it was first really grand display I had out of this plant anyhow

05/06/2013 at 22:45

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24867.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

After cool start weather came out fine again. Cut back lawns, cleared massive quantity of prunings from the Victoria Plum. Completely filled builders - the type used to deliver 1 ton of shingle. Amazingly I could still lift it Into the car! 

I'm expecting great fruiting now, if not this year then next.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24866.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

05/06/2013 at 22:51

(Amazing - photos are right way up! 

05/06/2013 at 22:56

Nice job birdy

That's an impressive eremurus Ws. How long did it take to produce that many spikes?

05/06/2013 at 23:05

Well done Birdy- looks like you've got how to post pics. That looks like a whole lot of prunings

05/06/2013 at 23:10

I'm reading this thread backwards tonite. Just got to Bev's garden, wonderful.

and John's roller. The old'ns are the best

05/06/2013 at 23:41

Today, I did a load more weeding, cut grass on edges of walls, put in support for the peas, watered some pots and weedkilled the drive.

06/06/2013 at 00:00

Wintersong, Dr Ruppel is worth looking after, its my favourite Clematis. I feared mine was suffering a few weeks ago put its growing nicely now.

06/06/2013 at 01:42

Spent all day ridding my sons garden of longstanding overgrown Ivy. Came home and did half an hours watering before watering myself with a G and T.

06/06/2013 at 09:04
nutcutlet wrote (see)

Nice job birdy

That's an impressive eremurus Ws. How long did it take to produce that many spikes?

The eremurus started life as one of those dried up little bulbs in a plastic bag many years ago. I can't exactly remember how many years but it has also travelled around my garden a little bit to find a decent spot, thus my errors added to its lacklustre existence.

It only started flowering about four years ago with a single spike. Then three the year after. Then 6-7 and then it went nuts with the nearly twenty flower spikes. By now it was placed in the correct position and loving it.

The bulb heads are now quite a lot bigger than the thing I bought in the packet, so much like peonies, they get fatter with age.

06/06/2013 at 09:09

Worth waiting for Wintersong.

06/06/2013 at 09:13

Thejazz, welcome to the forum. I wish you could come and rid my garden of longstanding, overgrown ivy.

06/06/2013 at 09:38

oh Sounds like I'm not the only one who detests overgrown ivy... well I'm about to head into the garden today to dig up the robinia frisia that I planted last year and has given up the ghost! and to plant a new one. then I'll mow the lawn and hope this sea fret burns back to reveal the blue stuff! Happy Gardening

07/06/2013 at 18:10

Had a lovely time this afternoon, pointed on a few bits and pieces, everything is putting on growth. One of the morning glories has gone in it had started to attach itself to the frame. Still wondering where on earth I'm going to put the all the nasturtians. New bag of compost has been bought and put down the first of the pee gravel on the path

I like the yellow eremurus Wintersong, not seen or heard of it before. Sounds liek y

Great picture Birdy, I love walled gardens

07/06/2013 at 18:56

mowing day. I decided that I should take over the pushmowing as my waistline in more in need of reduction. OH did the ride on. I'm knackered but I'm sure it was good for me.

07/06/2013 at 22:18

Holliehock - that's a hedged garden, unfortunately a gradually dying hedge - going brown with the dreaded mite that kills leandii.

But I do have a wall - you can see a bit of it on the Garden Gallery thread (page 38) showing off my clematis.

11/06/2013 at 16:09

Hi all went to a garden show on Sunday so brought lots of plants, which I arranged yesterday in the garden then planted out after a few places of deciding where to put them.

Been seed sowing today with a few wild flower seeds I brought,  indoors as wet out and in leg muscle pain from all that walking around the show

11/06/2013 at 18:07

Just found this thread (doh smiley)

Am growing eremurus for first time this year and am really chuffed that I have a flower spike. can't remember what colour though

have had  GH day, sowing seeds, (wallflowers, lettuce) Potting on some plants grown from seed and potting some shoots with tiny roots off an Astrantia I demolished yesterday (by accident)

11/06/2013 at 20:02

I finished planting my pots, done it in stages as the old violas were still looking pretty. Then I weeded and filled in gaps with annuals.

221 to 240 of 251 messages