London (change)
Today 21°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
241 to 251 of 251 messages
11/06/2013 at 22:13

Started hardening off all my potted up plugs. Snapdragons still too tender to plant out. Not sure whether some of them got a bit windburnt . A lot of the begonias are still very small and underdeveloped. They were poor quality when they were delivered. I suspect  their rooting systems were no good from the start.

Emptied old hanging baskets and garden pots, sieved out the weeds and spread the spent compost as a mulch in less visited part of the garden.

I have some questions about spent compost from old pots. It's about after I have sieved out most of the old roots -  the sieve is usually full of  'microhairs" which I take to be left over from the old rooting systems of what grew there.

I am in two minds   as to whether I should keep the microhair content to add structure  to the the soil (is that right?) or ...

should I dispose of the compost in case the microhairs are from the weeds that grew over winter and might regenerate?

Q If they are from weeds can the weeds regenerate  from even broken up microhair rooting systems?

Planted out some Verbena Patchwork (16 plants) into much larger pots. Flowers have already appeared on a few of the plants. Will photograph in a day or two once they've developed a bit more.

Washed out the 16 pots for re-use  (looking for my halo!)

11/06/2013 at 22:34
Birdy13 wrote

should I dispose of the compost in case the microhairs are from the weeds that grew over winter and might regenerate?

Birdy13, I always spread used compost over my borders to act as a mulch.

11/06/2013 at 22:41

Here you are Birdy - 

I do the same as LeadF with old compost too. Never had a problem. In fact the nursery I go to sells it- handy if you're making new borders or need to bulk up existing areas etc., and much cheaper than topsoil or new stuff.

12/06/2013 at 15:24

Thank you LeadF  and FairyG for that reassurance. Just as well I got it right - didn't fancy picking it all up again!! 

15/06/2013 at 23:24

Pulled up a few butercups. There were more than I thought!

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zps5546509a.jpg

KEF
16/06/2013 at 08:36

LeadFarmer, that's a lot of Buttercups. Pity you can't make beer out of them.

16/06/2013 at 10:27

LF: 'Your (butter)cup runneth over...'

16/06/2013 at 11:27

I was on my hands & knees crawling through the borders pulling them out. Then of course you find a stray bramble, and a nettle....

16/06/2013 at 14:13

LeadF: tell me about it... Emptied more of last years pots yesterday, sieved out weeds and rubbish to fill up a wheelbarrow and off to the other side of garden to spread it over as a mulch... Then started to notice the ground elder where I wanted to put the spent compost... Then saw the couch grass, been so obvious for so long that I'd stopped noticing it, then realised the whole of the bed needed clearing properly before mulching... Doesn't it go on!? 

Ended up with an old back strain coming back from the extended stooping and decided to call it a day. Old compost is still in the barrow waiting for the weeding impulse to return. Mustn't complain, ( even though I know I will! ) - I really know the garden is a blessing even though the weeds seem like a curse .

16/06/2013 at 23:18

Planted out 10 snapdragons (Tutti Frutti) This evening.

Not sure whether they should be as thin and 'tendrily' as these are. They have put out a nice lot of new growth but seem a bit thin to support their own weight. Wonder whether they will a thicken up and straighten up with more space now for their roots.

17/06/2013 at 09:52

Potted on 30+ sunflowers, most of them kindly given to me as seeds from Lilylouise.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zps55779997.jpg

email image
241 to 251 of 251 messages