London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
61 to 80 of 251 messages
14/05/2013 at 19:59

All I did was pot up some tiny plugs of lavender which arrived today. Does looking through a new gardening book that arrived count?

14/05/2013 at 20:02

That counts Bev as with all plant related activities..........sowed a few more seeds here but that's it..........too wet

14/05/2013 at 20:32

Picked more dandelion 'flowers' from my grass, in the rain, so as to stop the seeds spreading. Not had the weather to treat them yet. I think it was Dove who mentioned it the other day. Could be that it was said tongue in cheek and I will be a laughing stock. Hey Ho.

That was it.

14/05/2013 at 20:35

Sorted out some cuttings but wet here as well as most people, going to have a go at a bit more seed sowing not sure what yet but will sort through the seed box

14/05/2013 at 20:35
Verdun wrote (see)

Salino, isn't it fun looking at unusual,plants?  Got a nice pale blue alpine phlox floweriing now.

Yes getting plants is still gardenIng....good isnt it ?

..definitely... and I think even with this awful weather, plants can still look nice, especially evergreens, if you've got lots of those.... rain seems to bring them alive.. makes the colours stand out... don't know if anyone else finds that...

14/05/2013 at 20:41

Tina - I'm fed up picking off dandelion heads- there's  thousands here..

Waiting to get more posts in before I put weed n feed down but if the weather doesn't improve I'll be cutting silage in the front garden...

14/05/2013 at 20:57

What is it with the dandelions this year?  I usually get the odd one or two but it is like a plague. Not usually prone to having many weeds.  Have notice that since next door has put his new fence in, I have bindweed returning.  Think he has given me a bit more garden. Too wet today to do anything about it.  Have mentioned it to next door but he just looks at me blankly.  Don't think he knows what it is. 

15/05/2013 at 11:08
JR33 wrote (see)

Can anyone tell me what this plant is? It comes up every spring on a small patch of ground in my front garden. I have never seen it anywhere else and it doesn't seem to grow on anyone else's garden in the street.

Thank you

http://webkit-fake-url://1336CB01-2EFC-41BF-A0C0-FC4DD4C6F571/imagejpeg

Mrs J Randall

Fairygirl wrote (see)

Tina - I'm fed up picking off dandelion heads- there's  thousands here..

Waiting to get more posts in before I put weed n feed down but if the weather doesn't improve I'll be cutting silage in the front garden...

It's to do with the long cold snap we had this year. Most perennial weeds with big tap roots, (think bergamot, dandy's and docks) essentially get a head start over just about everything else, even grass, so while everything else is just starting to produce food and growth when the temps went up, the monsters were galloping away producing flowers and seeds using their tap root stores. These blighters are successful for a reason you know! Still satisfying when you remove them!

15/05/2013 at 11:46

Bit scary when you go to bed though BB. Never know what you are going to find in the morning.

15/05/2013 at 11:57

Put plastic hoods over my hanging baskets so they don't get soaked, planted another basket with million bells, scattered californian poppies on a spare bit of bed and in gaps inbetween plants. Strangely, the promised rain hasn't come yet.

19/05/2013 at 20:37

Planted out a dozen foxgloves and lpins I purchased as small plants from B&Q earlier in the year.

19/05/2013 at 21:17

Potted on some verbenas and poppies and planted out some wallflowers and forget me nots

19/05/2013 at 22:19

Spent this morning trying to rid a large border of Celandine. My garden backs on to a wood, and the celandines spread from there all over the garden. The trouble is that they multiply thousand fold in one season and are near on impossible to eradicate in my clay soil. It is hard to see what else is in the border unless they are grubbed out. Potted on 24 tomato plants, Then it rained..AGAIN.

19/05/2013 at 22:30

My sympathies NormaB.  Just found out that's what's infesting a large area of my garden.  Same soil too.  Spent hours today digging them up but those pesky litttle seeds are difficult to retrieve. Going to have a go with Roundup, just on the weed itself.  May be gone a few days.

19/05/2013 at 22:35

Ive just googled Celandine and its a shame its an invasive weed as it looks to have a nice flower.

20/05/2013 at 07:43

Yesterday, we spent all day putting glass in our greenhouse, being very inexperienced at doing this particular job (i.e. it was the first time) we had to learn a lot from our errors as we went along.

I also planted out some more lettuces, the last I had brought on in pots as I will now start sowing directly.  I also planted out our summer cabbage.  we didn't have time to do anything else  as the glass took up all our time.

But now this is done, I can start clearing the rest of the rubbish from the 2nd plot and get a run to the dump done.  This will make the plot look a lot tidier and we can then concentrate on getting the beds in etc... Our 1st plot is looking really great, and filling up nicely now with seedlings, and veggies starting to almost be ready for harvest.

20/05/2013 at 08:49

Did nothing yeasterday, poured, ground waterlogged. Cold. Not normal for SW France!

20/05/2013 at 08:58

Potted up geraniums,outside in warm sunshine,sorry Busy-Lizzie.

22/05/2013 at 16:35

I started re-edging my lawn. Probably one of the most impactive jobs for such little effort!

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zpse2eb87ce.jpg

22/05/2013 at 16:38

Very neat LeadFarmer

61 to 80 of 251 messages