London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
121 to 140 of 251 messages
25/05/2013 at 23:19
Wintersong wrote (see)

What needs to be done in my garden today?

• Mowing the lawn and strimming the edges.
  • cutting the path edges.
  • Transferring over wintered perennials from my veg beds into the borders.
  • Sowing a ton of seeds which are still sitting in their packets.
  • Stirring the compost bins.
  • Finish laying the bark chips on most borders to preserve water.
  • Some tying in and a spot of pruning back on rampant climbers.
  • Weeds!!!!!!!
  • The Chelsea chop of course.
  • Having a cup of tea when the sun does make an appearance.

Chelsea chop still needs doing as does the rest of the bark and still got a fair bit of path to edge but pretty much finished other jobs on list.

Glorious sunshine this afternoon had me down to one fleece instead of the usual two plus hubby's big weather proof coat.

Still loads of work to do but I have to say...I'm pretty damn pleased with how things are looking this year, I promise to do some before and after shots once I get a chance.

Take care everyone

26/05/2013 at 20:55

This weekend I have planted what I hope will be a very hardy perennial indeed: the new washing line.

Other tasks accomplished: pruning the privet hedge and various lonicera, reburying the bulbs that *******ed cat keeps digging up, feeding the birds. The lawn needs mowing too, and badly, but ... I'd rather be feeding the birds. Sweet little coal tit has started coming very close to me for mealworms, a bluetit's learned to do the same, that blackbird is obviously ferrying my offerings straight back to the nest and the robins are pretty quick to show up when I open the shed too.

Not done, but needs doing: pull all the grass out of the front of the bulb bed now that the crocuses and anemones have gone back into the ground. Can't weed further back until gladiolus and grape hyacinth get out of the way. Allium is only just opening and the lilies haven't even formed flower buds yet. It's going to be a long job.

26/05/2013 at 20:58

Three barrow loads of mostly stinging nettles and jack by the hedge removed to compost heap. Given a couple of years I may get this garden back in hand. Knackered.

26/05/2013 at 21:36

As the weather's been fab the last 2 x days (for a change), have washed all my pots including ones to give away on freecycle. repotted house plants, taken cuttings of some of those as well. potted on some new perennial plug plants and bought a few more while they are on offer on well known superstore.

have managed to do lots of small jobs and am very pleased with my effort 

26/05/2013 at 21:41

Nut, what happened that the garden got out of hand, were you busy/unwell?

Today I was working, so all I did was 7.00 to 8.00 water from the water butt all the new veg that have been planted out, then...discovered a demijohn of pear wine from 2011 (no pears in 2012!) that I did not know I had, so sat until 9.00pm with a glass or two of rather good wine admiring the veg bed.

26/05/2013 at 21:46

art...

Awarded myself tea and two choccy bix after my hard work today and yesterday 

26/05/2013 at 21:54

FG, would love to know how you are putting in fence posts, are you using a system that I think is called 'Matlock' or similar? I think perhaps you really are 27.

26/05/2013 at 21:58
artjak wrote (see)

Nut, what happened that the garden got out of hand, were you busy/unwell?

Had a 93 year old mother with increasing dementia artjak. She lived with us for 3 years and was not too bad for the first 2 or more but towards the end of her stay I didn't get 5 mins to myself. She's in a care home now. 

26/05/2013 at 22:02

Good old concrete art! I have a few of the metal post holders but will only use them for the temporary bit so that they can be lifted out for access when I extend. Once that's done they'll be concreted too.

oh yes... definitely only 27...

26/05/2013 at 22:03
artjak wrote (see)

FG, would love to know how you are putting in fence posts, are you using a system that I think is called 'Matlock' or similar? I think perhaps you really are 27.

We're all 27, I think FG can only be 26 and 11 months

There isn't a smiley for admiration is there

It would take me so long to get a fence post in the concrete would be set before it got in the hole

26/05/2013 at 22:14

Hey, I'm not embarrassed about my age; I'm 65, yes 65, did I say sixty five!! and absolutely amazed that I made it this far. When I'm working on building sites (I'm a mural painter) I always tell the very young guys that I'm 83. They have no idea about age, bless them.

26/05/2013 at 22:17

i can beat that artjak, I'm 67. The 2 was a typo. 

26/05/2013 at 22:27

26/05/2013 at 22:49

I knew I was the 'baby' here...if you add on 28 that's the real age.

art- that sounds a lovely thing to do. I always like to call them 'muriels' 

26/05/2013 at 22:52

Fg, we have muriels as well 

26/05/2013 at 22:57

What did I do in the garden today?

Well we had a barbecue!

Dear departed Geoff Hamilton (or was it the not-at-all-departed Alan Titchmarsh?) said that his father used to say "every now and then a garden needs a good looking at". Ie You are allowed to down and enjoy being in it.

Daughter prepared salads, son-in-law, who loves reverting to caveman, invented fire and tracked down a few mammoFirefox cook, while the grand children just played ... Oh yes, and I did a nice bit of weeding. Isn't  it great when the earth just lets the weeds come up clean? 

Then we just enjoyed the meal in a relaxed Mediterranean manner with that unusual phenomenon: sunshine! 

Good weather and the  company of lovely people makes the run-of-the-mill gardening chores seem so much easier.

26/05/2013 at 22:58

Oh yes, and I've potted up about 140 plug plants in the last two days!

26/05/2013 at 23:00

Lovely Birdy 

And we've got another summer day tomorrow, though maybe we should keep quiet about it. Those living in the west have something less wonderful coming

26/05/2013 at 23:06

Some really weird typos crept into last two posts. 

"... son-in-law ....  invented fire and tracked down a few mammoFirefox cook,"

should have read: 

.. son-in-law ....  invented fire and tracked down a few mammoths to cook,"

(I wonder what a "mammoFirefox" is?)

26/05/2013 at 23:28

A lovely day at last. Removed 3 barrowloads of weeds, dug, manured and planted in a bed that I hadn't touched for a year or sorted properly for 2 years. Got depressed with it because the deer kept eating the plants I wanted and the plants that survived were the extra vigorous sort. Ache.

OH fenced the main flower garden against deer, but this bit is outside the fence.

Had smoked salmon and home grown salad for lunch sitting in the sun. Felt like being on holiday.

121 to 140 of 251 messages