61 to 67 of 67 messages
13/07/2014 at 20:45

After the last few days and struggling to keep compost omits and problems with my tomatoes, I think the biggest thing I have learnt this year now is to use decent compost.

Next year I am going to try and have my own as much as possible and only buy good quality compost if I need any extra 

14/07/2014 at 19:33

Wish I had room for compost bin, ol, I had a tiny one but it wasn't really working,my weak area is support, I' m awful, I have to get someone to bring a drill so I never get round to it..I haven't staked anything hence my new peony flopping and snapping, I must get someone to help my tie all my roses in properly, they're all a bit haphazardly done...any takers?!

14/07/2014 at 23:02

I've learnt to take basal cuttings from delphiniums and soft wood cuttings with rosemary. Also how to grow tomatoes   Oh and harvesting seeds from more species of plant.Plus the names of plants I've long had in my garden,ID'd courtesy of the good people of these boards. Crikey,quite a bit then 

16/07/2014 at 08:38

well done fishy

17/07/2014 at 16:06

Aw thanks rosemummy 

Edd
17/07/2014 at 16:20

I learnt this year that the more gardens i do, the more i learn; and the more i learn, the more i realizes how little i know.

My brain struggles to keep up at the best of times.

Latin names are becoming a night mare. I find myself making up stories just so i can remember them and write them out again, even then i have to look up the correct spelling. 

17/07/2014 at 17:31

that planting when it is 40C and then going to the beach for three weeks does not guarantee success                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         that beautiful ideas in the mind are not always beautiful in the garden                                                                                                                                                                                                   that its ok if people dont notice what i think is wonderful                                                                                                                                                                                                                         that people in the US dont really care about gardens the way you Brits do and hasnt it been great kinda knowing you                                                                                                                                                                                                                        and that theres always next year-but i guess i knew all this already

email image
61 to 67 of 67 messages