London (change)
Today 9°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 67 messages
nin
11/06/2014 at 07:56

I just thought it would be interesting to ask what others have learnt this year in their Gardens.

I have learnt so much the main thing has been if you plant soft herbs, veg and flower seeds the only way to really stop the Slugs and Snails is with pellets; and I do not want to do that as I love my very friendly robin to much. If you had asked me a year ago I would of said I would pellet.

Next year will plant these soft veg and flowers early, very early grow on large in the house and use pellets in the cold frame to protect them its a hard choice but hopefully when i plant out things will have a fighting chance. I think I will also plant everything out same day strength in numbers.

I have learnt even cloches or bottles over plants will not protect plants from moluscs: but radishes around lettuce seem to help a little maybe because slugs and snails only go for radish when nothing else available and radishes peppery smell keeps the worst of the slugs away, maybe.pity no one in my house eats radishes.

Nematodes only seemed to cause a mollusc population explosion and cost a fortune money would of been better spent on plant food.

I have learnt to check the airing cupboard daily when seedlings are in there to stop them getting leggy and at times twice daily.

I have learnt if you do not want it stolen chain it up.

Broad beans sown in Autumn give me a good crop and I think the earliness seems to help avoid black fly. will do this next year.

Hard fruit like currents, Tayberries and loganberries are the best investment fruit and veg wise I have ever made and although the Japanese wine berry only has small fruit who cares its so pretty. yellow raspberries are bland and do not look that appertising in reality even if they sound good.

Dahlias from seed are fun even if what you get can be random that's the fun.

And of all the strange things Chilli's, tomatoes and Dahlia seed make me the happiest and I must remember not to over water them or it sets them back.

11/06/2014 at 08:32

Morning nin

Not sure I have learned anything this year....so far.  Maybe to sow more peas.  Only have a few this year because I was too hasty and impatient.  Nothing like early peas

11/06/2014 at 09:05

I think it would be easier for me to say what I haven't learnt (if I knew what that was LOL!).....I have learned so much this year and my garden is doing really well.

I have grown so many new things and things I have tried to grow before have grown better.  Tomatoes, Sweet Peas, courgettes, cucumbers, Clematis.....all going fantastic. 

11/06/2014 at 09:24

I've learned not to count my chickens... It's a lesson that I keep learning and keep forgetting.

11/06/2014 at 09:27
Verdun wrote (see)

Maybe to sow more peas.  Only have a few this year because I was too hasty and impatient.  Nothing like early peas

I have also learnt this one Verdun!

1. my veg plot is random this year. I've got more veg space than I ever did have but I'm still lacking enough and so I've had to plant my cougette and tomatoes in the flower borders, my sweetcorn as soon as my pototes come out and my leeks as soon as I harvest my peas, and don't ask me where I'm putting my cauliflowers  I'd very much like to organise my space better at the end of the growing season, with proper paths and full sun raised beds.

2. In the borders: last year I concentrated on colour co-ordination and large drifts instead of dotty, mostly to satisfaction this year although there are one or two plants that just didn't work. But now I've moved my designer aspirations to the next stage and I need to concentration on even greater colour combinations, planting several climbers together or under planting for successional interest.

I hope to achieve both these things for next year's enjoyment.

11/06/2014 at 10:24

Nin - there are wildlife fiendly slug pellets which do not harm birds or hedgehogs or pets.

I have learned that the weather's going to get me one way or the other.  We have hard winters so I have gradually learned what is tough enough to survive and what isnt and plant and plan accordingly.  This winetr was mild so eveything has been racing away and I've had glorious roses and peonies and oriental poppies and hostas and many more..........

Until the weather decided to sort out my optimism with a murderous hailstorm and 120kph winds that  stripped, shredded, decapitated or flattened too many treasures to list and left the garden devastated.

Nature can be glorious but can also be a bitch.

11/06/2014 at 11:04

I have been deliberating  and trying to think of a more constructive answer, as I've said I've learned so much it would take forever to write.  Having just been in the garden to hang out washing I was thinking how much more everything has grown this year compared to previous years.

Therefore, my most useful lesson learnt in the garden this year is to feed your plants. In the past I never fed any plants apart from my Orchids (and OH spends a fortune feeding the grass!!).  This year I have used LOADS of BFB, rose food and acid loving plant food, I've also used a lot of tea and tea leaves in my acid loving plants. My plants have grown bigger and faster than ever before, flowers are better and I have 3 plants that have flowered that haven't previously, my Azalea, Rhododendron and Broom.  So all in all, feed the plants and they will be much much better  Next year I think they will be even better now that I know to feed them again this year.

11/06/2014 at 16:37

Watching a tray of seeds does not make them germinate any quicker. Actually I seem to have to learn this again every year. I must stop prodding around in the trays looking for signs of life, when the poor things are just not ready to germinate.

11/06/2014 at 16:40

I think I do more forgetting than learning

11/06/2014 at 16:47

It gets arder...arder to get-up from me knees.. arder to straighten me back....knees signalling imminent replacement.....spade gets eavier.....oh it's ard!

11/06/2014 at 16:51

Yes David,  that too

11/06/2014 at 19:03

I've learned that plants are a little like children.  One can try to steer them but at the end of the day, they do exactly what they want.  From deciding when to make their appearance into the world and how they behave when they get here.  Examples are my winter flowering violas which are today looking the best they have done and are in full flower and my dahlias, 4 of which have appeared and are growing well and 2 of which have clearly decided to delay their appearance.

11/06/2014 at 19:13

I can't honestly say that I have learned anything new this year other than that I have STILL not learned to leave seeds alone...........it is not that I go by the germination details particularly..........just that when I think they should be showing and they aren't, I can never resist investigating.........so rather like Puncdoc in that respect.  I've been doing it for ever............maybe next year, it will finally get through to me.......tho  maybe not

12/06/2014 at 05:46

I have learned that I`m not very patient, want everything to be up and flowering now!

I really need to be more organised, something my hubby is always pointing out to me.

That I will never win the war on slugs in my garden, so next year (see being organised) I shall be planting plants they wont eat!

I must`nt dwell on my faliures (which are many) in the garden.

Learn how to spell

12/06/2014 at 07:29

I've learned not to be tempted by the '3 for £10' multi purpose compost and to buy a good quality seed compost next year.

KEF
12/06/2014 at 07:37

I've learned that talking to plants and even threatening them doesn't make them flower.  Peeps that "know" me know which I mean.

12/06/2014 at 08:04

I need to learn how to get lots of lovely flowers early, everyone else's garden seem to have lots of colour and mine doesn't, I'm not sure if that because they have bought GC/shop bedding plants or not.

I'm wondering about autumn sowing in the GH for more bedding plants but not sure how that works....I will start another thread in the autumn 

12/06/2014 at 08:28

I have learned that just coz it didn't work last year doesn't mean I shouldn't try it again this year. Last year only 3 seeds planted germinated. This year loads have - probably coz I'm not doing it 'properly'! 

I have also learned that everyone on here is rather fabulous, very supportive and kind 

12/06/2014 at 08:40

I'll second that last sentence Panda, everyone is so lovely 

12/06/2014 at 09:41

Panda, you are so right there!  I think I have learned that February 1st is not necessarily the best time to plant seeds in my germinator, just because the packet says you can sow Feb - April!!  The tomatoes and cucumbers got far too big on the windowsills and it was just stressful!  I will hang on next year.  And I have also learned that sometimes, Mother Nature will put right your disasters for you, like when she provided me with a new, better bee colony, and even Peter Crouch, my lankiest tomato plant, now looks bushy and healthy. 

1 to 20 of 67 messages